Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 28th, 2013 08:00

How to disable auto-click on an Inspiron 17R ultrabook 5720 running Windows 8

I would be very grateful if someone could tell me how to disable auto-click on an Inspiron 17R 5720 ultrabook running Windows 8.  I've looked everywhere in Windows help and Dell help, have checked the Dell Touchpad properties and tried disabling "tap to click", have googled it over and over.  It's driving me nuts to have things selected, cancelled or changed just because the cursor hovers over something for more than a split second while I make up my mind!

Thanks a million!

1.1K Posts

February 28th, 2013 08:00

Hi SandyOttawa,

Open Dell touch pad properties and make sure 'Palm tracking' feature is turned on and it is set to maximum level so that it does not take accidental input. In case this does not resolve the issue, go to Control Panel->Ease of Access Center->Make mouse easier to use and make sure 'Activate a window by hovering over it with the mouse' is disabled as shown in the below image:

Please reply with the findings.

10 Posts

February 28th, 2013 09:00

Hi Vikram ... Thanks for replying so quickly.

By "Palm tracking" do you mean TouchGuard?  I've just increased its setting from mid-range to maximum.  I also checked the Ease of Access Center and verified that the hover feature is disabled.  I'm going to test things by merely hovering the cursor over the "Post" button on this page (i.e., without lingering over the touchpad at all).  I'll test things for a little while and get back to you here to let you know if it worked.

Many thanks!

10 Posts

February 28th, 2013 09:00

I think it might be fixed!  I'll report back later if it starts happening again.  Thank you!!

1.1K Posts

February 28th, 2013 14:00

Hi SandyOttawa,

I am glad that the issue is fixed. Do get back to us for any issues in future; we will be glad to assist you.

1 Message

June 22nd, 2013 18:00

If someone could tell me how to disable my palm pad I would be very grateful.  I have an Inspiron 17R 5720 notebook  running windows 7.  I removed windows 8 to add window 7. 

thanks

1 Message

July 8th, 2015 14:00

I am having this same issue with my Inspiron 15 7000 series and cannot find the "dell touchpad properties".  The "Activate a window by..." is unchecked already. Thanks for your help!

1 Message

October 22nd, 2015 08:00

I have a Dell E7250 and am having this same problem.  I have previously unchecked the hover dialog box, and have set my Touchguard at max.  

I want the cursor to be inactive unless I left or right click on the bar under the touchpad.  How do I prevent the cursor from being "helpful" and doing things on its own? 

No Events found!