Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 10th, 2010 14:00

How to disable my touch pad on a XPS M1710

I write many letters a day on elderly abuse and exploitation issues, then my hands crosses over my touch pad and I have to start all over and lose my train of thought. Bought a new laser mouse from logitech, plugged itinto a usb port and my touch pad still works, please help.

21 Posts

March 10th, 2010 17:00

I prefer gpointing-device-settings, it is more positive for me because I use an external mouse and it can disable the touchpad altogether or change settings for intensity etc.  Find it in Synaptic Package Manager.  After setting it up, place it in your startup applications and have a choice every time you reboot or use terminal and get it by entering: sudo gpointing-device-settings

5.2K Posts

March 10th, 2010 17:00

The easiest route is to install TouchFreeze, a free utility that deactivates the mouse when typing. It works great, much better than adjusting parameters in the Pad control panel. The program works with all versions of Windows, but I'm not sure about 64-bit Windows.

1 Message

March 31st, 2010 10:00

Hi. I too have a m1710 and i use the synaptic driver program to solve this issue. Dont remember if this is the driver Windows 7 provided me, or if I installed the one from Dell's download page. However, there is a system icon for Synaptics on my Windows screen, when i double click it i get a menu; on the first page i have an option-box that says "deactivate touchpad when a USB-pointing device is plugged in". Check the option-box and it should do as it says ;) Hope you can find this to be of any help ~Good luck.

1 Message

September 27th, 2011 09:00

Easy to do.  To your left on the bottom of the keyboard is a FN key.  Also on top of the keyboard is your functions keys.  F1, F2 through F12.  One of those keys, mine is F3 is orange and has the picture of your touch pad.  It looks like a box with an X in it and two small boxes under it. 

Hold the FN key down and then press that function key with the picture of the touch pad.  That will turn it off.

13 Posts

January 14th, 2012 01:00

On my XPS M1710 there is a battery symbol on the F3 key. F1: Sleep symbol, F2: WiFi, ... F10: Eject Disc.

The only Fn keys which are working are: Page Up/Down (for increasing/decreasing sound volume) ...

A function key for disabling the TouchPad would be great (e.g. my other Vostro laptop offers that).

Edit_2012-01-14_11-02: Finally installing the Synaptics Driver/App did it (for XPS M1710):

Information provides with no warranty of any kind.

Good luck,
Harald-René Flasch

13 Posts

January 14th, 2012 02:00

XPS M1710:

* www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

* Installed and reboot

* Icon Tray: Pointing Device Properties > Disable TouchPad/Stick when a USB Pointing device is present (the LED will be still on which is OK for me)

No Events found!