Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 11th, 2012 18:00

How to disable touchpad in Dell LAtitude E6420

I am desperate to undertsnad how to disable the touchpad on my Latitude E6420 laptop.  The F5 key is showing a pictrue of the keypad but it is nopt working.

Help much appreciated.

Best regards,.>Florenece

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 11th, 2012 18:00

Hi,

Welcome to the community

To disable/enable touchpad hit FN+F5. This is the manual of your laptop ; http://dell.to/IBDZRa in case you need it in the future.

Regards,

May 13th, 2012 00:00

hey but FN+F5 is not working

1 Message

June 7th, 2012 11:00

Does this also disable the point stick?  I find that the Dell Touchpad application available from the Control Panel usually does not actually disable the point stick.

HW/OS: Dell Latitude E6420 / Windows 7 x64

Thanks!

5 Posts

June 23rd, 2012 19:00

I am having the identical problem: no touchpad options show up under the Mouse window under Control Panel.  Function+F5 doesn't appear to affect anything. At this point, I would be willing to go into the bios and completely disable the touchpad if that's a possibility. Without attaching an external keyboard, the built-in keyboard is essentially useless to me for doing real work as I keep accidentally swiping the touchpad while typing. So frustrating!!!

5 Posts

June 24th, 2012 09:00

I was able to solve this problem. I created a restore point, then I went to the support.dell.com and downloaded a new driver. The tab with the option to disable the touchpad is now showing. I have set my computer to show the icon for the touchpad in the taskpad so I can change this setting as needed. All good now!

3 Posts

June 24th, 2012 11:00

can u plz mention how exactly you did that thing and provide the link from where you got the driver? my touchpad works fine immediately after booting, but once I login into my user account, it doesn't respond at all. I'm guessing that the problem might be the driver.

5 Posts

July 10th, 2012 14:00

I'm in the United States, so the Dell support web site that I went to may or may not be the exact one you need. I went to www.dell.com/.../555 and clicked the "Analyze this system for updates" button. The touchpad driver was one of quite a few drivers that my new laptop needed. I created a system restore point, downloaded the driver, and was able to set the touchpad settings to my liking after that. While I was on that page, I continued to create system restore points and download each of the drivers I thought I might need. Hope this helps! It's an easy answer that I certainly had a difficult time finding.

5 Posts

July 10th, 2012 14:00

www.dell.com/.../drivers

Maybe this shorter form of the link to Dell support will be useful for more people.

1 Message

September 4th, 2012 14:00

I was forced to disable the touch pad via the BIOS (it and/or the buttons were driving me nuts popping up context menus and selecting all text and surreptitiously deleting it all),  and would like to enable the pointing stick only.

I attempted to install drivers using the following files from the Dell Support site:
Dell Driver Windows R315893
Dell Multi-Touch Touchpad A10 R315893

Is there a way to do this?

5 Posts

January 9th, 2013 08:00

Hey folks, I installed the ALPS Touchpad ....  driver and now FN + F5 works like a charm to enable/disable the touchpad and joystick like a charm.

1 Message

March 19th, 2013 22:00

I installed this on a Windows 7 64-bit machine that had the same problem and seemed to fix it.

Dell Multi-Touch Touchpad, v.8.1200.101.112, A12

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/555/DriverDetails/Product/latitude-e6420?driverId=MD5G5&osCode=W764&fileId=3113049731&languageCode=EN

1 Message

April 5th, 2013 07:00

Thank you SO much for this tip to install ALPS Touchpad.  When I first got this laptop (over a year ago) I looked and looked for a solution.  I asked my helpdesk and they did not have a solution either.  This saves tons of frustration.  FnF5 to enable/disable touchpad and joystick works great now!

51 Posts

July 20th, 2013 17:00

Dear ts255022, I have a DELL Latitude E6530 and I am receiving a Warning Dialogue box in the first window after sign on that reads as follows: ALPS driver has found IOCTL - error : 320. Using the URL in your reply I find that the touchpad on my latitude has a driver update. Do you think this update would correct my dialogue box warning? Please offer any suggestions you might have to help. Thank  you, Joel

5 Posts

July 22nd, 2013 08:00

Hello yerby56, I cannot say for certain, but if you create a restore point before you install the driver update you won't be any worse off than before. I would suggest giving the driver a try.

1 Message

August 1st, 2013 16:00

I just got a E6430 and haven't been able to disable the touchpad with the previous instructions.  Can someone help? 

Thanks.

No Events found!