Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 15th, 2014 14:00

How to install WWAN hardware on my Vostro 3360 ?

Hi,

I bought a Vostro 3360 last year but it didn't have the option to get WWAN.

Now I'd like to have internet with my SIM card.

What I have to buy to upgrade my Vostro and be able to get WWAN ?

If I buy a Dell 5530 or 5630, is it enough ? I guess I have to buy something to put the SIM or is it included in the Dell 5530/5630 hardware ? And how can I connect the "aux" and "main" port in the Dell 5530.

Thank by advance.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 15th, 2014 14:00

The SIM card usually goes into a socket near the battery compartment.  You will need a WWAN card your network provider supports.  You should also check to make sure the antenna wires are there for the WWAN card - if they aren't (and it's likely they may not be) it's not easy to install them -- which will make the upgrade much more difficult and questionable relative to just using a USB WWAN adapter.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 15th, 2014 15:00

You'll have to verify that with your service provider.

9 Posts

What do you mean ? With the service wich give me the SIM card ? No need, it's 100% OK I have data etc. and the SIM card is made for this use.

I just need to upgrade my hardware to be able to connect my simcard and to receive 3G and it's not my provider who will tell me this

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Not all providers support all WWAN cards.  You really must check with the provider about support.

Also make sure you look through the service manual to see what is involved to install the hardware (particularly the antenna wiring) - you will be doing an almost complete system tear-down to do the hardware installs.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 15th, 2014 16:00

The SIM socket is on the side of the system.  See the service manual:

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_vostro_notebook/vostro-3360_Owner%27s%20Manual_en-us.pdf

9 Posts

August 15th, 2014 16:00

I'm pretty sure it will work but I'll call as you advise.

But let's say it's OK for the provider, if I buy and install the 3 thing above, it will work on my Vostro 3360 ?

Isn't it a problem that the antenna is inside the laptop and not on the top of the screen ? And does the WWAN have a slot for the SIM or I have to buy smth else for the SIM ?

9 Posts

August 15th, 2014 17:00

If you're speaking about the page 9 of the pdf file, I don't have any port like this because I have the Vostro 3360 but without the option WWAN but I still have a port for wwan.

No Events found!