Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

A

35 Posts

July 11th, 2008 05:00

How to install windows xp in your xps laptop

"Windows Xp can be installed in ANY Laptop that runs Vista.

To do so all you need is an actual WINDOWS XP cd.

Once you have that cd ready.

Proceed to create a second harddrive partition in your harddrive ( this means you will have two harddrives in one )

to do this you can obtain a partion magic software as partition magic 8 ( free, just goolge it ) or " gparted " ( also free )

Once you've divided your harddrive into two harddrives.

You can proceed to installing windows xp in your newly created harddrive. ( with the dell oem cd )

Now, if you already have vista. This will NOT ERASE any of your data. But simply make it so your vista installation doesn't boot.

What do i mean ?

I mean that if you succeeded into in installing Windows Xp, and have it running, your vista install won't boot by default.

To enable DUAL BOOTING you need to " fix " your vista boot option. Meaning you have to reload vistas boot manager. Which is done automatically when you boot to your Vista cd and choose to " repair your computer " one or two times.

If all goes well, and you've followed my simple instructions to your best understanding. Everything should be fine

Now, you can skip down here and ingore all about vista and partitioning.

_--- if you want to just simply install Windows XP. And don't like vista. Simply do a full install in your one harddrive. This will format it and you'll get rid of vista for ever.
this is the link for the xp driver pack.
http://rapidshare.com/files/128590416/Xps_m1330_windows_xp_drivers.zip.html

Questions ? comments ?ask me.."

102 Posts

July 11th, 2008 13:00

No need for Partition Magic vista diskmgmt.msc will handle shrinking of the partition and creating a new one just fine. It is preferable to create a new PRIMARY partition.

Also you forgot to mention the very important issue of having to change the hard disk mode from AHCI to ATA in the BIOS. Without this installing XP will not succeed because XP does not natively support AHCI mode on hard drives.

Plus getting Vista to dual boot with XP is not all that straightforward, many people have troubles with it.

35 Posts

July 12th, 2008 01:00

its pretty straight forward.

we all get the same 1330... any other issuers are bettween the keyboard and the chair. 

I have xp, vista, unbuntu 8 and fedora. all working perfectly fine. 

40 Posts

July 12th, 2008 16:00

Hey archangel4u, are you able to get a working mike in Jack, not line in but mike in Jack, do the external speakers on the XPS work and the speaker jacks how do they work.  How is your sound quality.  I would hate to actually put XP on my system only to find I have no working mike jack.  As I have tried drivers from the 1530 and I can then get stereo mix but I cannot get a working microphone jack.  I also downloaded the drivers from rapid share.  There were only 10 of them.  Are these going to be the only ones I need? will this be enough to give me a full working system? Much appreciation in advance?

2 Posts

July 12th, 2008 18:00

The NVIDIA video driver in your rapidshare download is meant for Vista only.  It won't install on my XPS 1330 running XP.  Does anyone have a driver that will work for the NVIDIA card on this machine running XP?  I tried the drivers on NVIDIA's site and none of them work.  Appreciate any help.  Thanks, Mike

40 Posts

July 12th, 2008 19:00

have you tried adjusting the compatability to xp service pack 2

ps try this http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_175.19_whql.html

it is for xp  GeForce 8400 GS

and how does everything else work?

picture and fax viewer? stereo mix? sound quality? good mike in quality?

Message Edited by zipkik on 07-12-2008 02:07 PM
Message Edited by zipkik on 07-12-2008 02:08 PM

35 Posts

July 12th, 2008 21:00

Didn't know that, Pitty,

Try downloading a driver from nvidias site. Or other laptop. 

as far as nvidia drivers go, they don't really matter much. usually one driver supports 10+ gpus. 

35 Posts

July 12th, 2008 21:00

Yes.

Dunno about microphone jack. never used.

2 Posts

July 12th, 2008 23:00

Ok, I downloaded the file you suggested from NVIDIA, and I get the same message when I try to install it:  "The NVIDIA Setup Program could not locate any drivers that are compatable with your current hardware.  Setup will now exit." 

I am confident that this Dell M1330 has the NVIDA card, so don't understand why I can't get the video driver to work.

Any ideas?  Not sure what you meant about SP2.  I've already updated XP to SP3.  Thanks! MR

40 Posts

July 13th, 2008 17:00

mr1084,

Here is what you do if you have not tried it already. The Dell driver I believe is number R166473 and seems to made exclusively for vista. What you want to do is right-click on the icon and go over to the compatibility button. Click it and under compatibility mode click on the run this program in the compatibility mode for Windows XP service pack two. he fact that you have upgraded to service pack three should not really matter,I hope. Then apply it and then try running it again. Don't forget to set a restore store point before you do this in case you have to roll back.

For the nvida application (175.19_geforce_winxp_32bit_english_whq) the same thing. Right click and adjust to the compatibility. Don't forget to set or restore point just in case. Good luck and let me know how things are going.

Archangel, you said you have never tried to use the mike in Jack, which is understandable because some people do not need that. I however doing a lot of audio work have found out that vista has basically disabled a lot of audio compatibility. I assume that you're yes answer means that you are able to get stereo mix, picture and fax viewer and also good sound quality.

Is there any way you could check the mike in Jack by maybe using the sound recorder or audicity ?

I am truly very sorry for all these requests before I go out and spend about $250 for the full version of home plus a larger hard drive. Dell said they can do this for me for $500 but that does not include the hard drive or the home version. thanks guys. If I had the money I would buy a refurbished Dell laptop with XP while they are still available.

btw I still need more people to sign this request. request for xp drivers to be put back on 1330 driver site

Don't forget to let us know how it's going mr7084

Message Edited by zipkik on 07-13-2008 11:24 AM
Message Edited by zipkik on 07-13-2008 11:25 AM
No Events found!