Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 29th, 2017 17:00

How to re-install windows 7 after replaced hard disk (details inside)

• Laptop model: Dell Latitude e6420
  • I found the windows key within the battery compartment
  • Windows version: Windows 7 Pro OA

I replaced my old hard disk because it simply did not work anymore and now when I try to start my laptop, I get the message that there are no boot devices.

My mom bought me this laptop years ago and it is a refurbished laptop. How do I re-install windows on it?

'Hope someone can help. I know nothing about computers. Thank you in advance to the kind soul(s)!

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

October 3rd, 2017 04:00

You can either reinstall Windows 7 Pro or use its Product Key to clean install Windows 10 Pro. I would advise installing Windows 10 Pro. I have wrote detailed guides here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/windows-oem-faqs-and-downloads/#CleanInstall15063 

4 Posts

October 3rd, 2017 18:00

I can't reinstall Windows 7 Pro as I have no USB with Windows 7 Pro on it. That's my question. Where can I find it if I already have the key???

4 Posts

October 3rd, 2017 18:00

Where can I find Windows 7 Pro on a usb drive or something to reinstall it on my laptop? I have the key but not the USB drive.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

October 5th, 2017 03:00

You need to download the Dell Windows 7 Reinstallation .iso and make a Bootable USB using Rufus (see the guides above where there is a Windows 7 variant). This is much easier to do with Windows 10 as mentioned however as Microsoft have followed user feedback on the Digital Distribution of Windows 10 Installation Media.

4 Posts

October 5th, 2017 11:00

Where can I find Dell Windows 7 Pro .iso to download? I have no idea where and how to do all this.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

October 6th, 2017 05:00

Where can I find Dell Windows 7 Pro .iso to download? I have no idea where and how to do all this.

Follow the instructions here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-dell-windows-7-64-bit-reinstallation-sp2-oem-iso-for-a-uefi-bios/ 

No Events found!