Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 22nd, 2014 09:00

How to reinstall windows 8.1 on my inspiron 7000 14"?

Lately I've been experiencing huge performance degradation on my 6-month old inspiron 7000 laptop. I want to do a reinstallation of OS, but don't know where to start as Dell included no OS dvd and this laptop doesn't even have a DVD drive. Any heads-up would be appreciated.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 22nd, 2014 10:00

You'll need a 16G or larger flash drive to make a recovery medium.  Use the Dell Backup and recovery utility on the hard drive to prepare a bootable, factory recovery drive.

You CAN recover the system without this, but you will need it if you ever have to replace a hard drive (or SSD), so make the recovery media now.  The same utility (Dell Backup and Recovery) can be used to take the system back to its factory condition.

65 Posts

July 22nd, 2014 11:00

I couldn't find Dell Backup and recovery utility on my laptop, can you tell me how I can access it? It's also possible that I accidentally uninstalled it, can it be re-installed? In addition, my 64GB flash drive is broken, can I use a 1TB portable HD for storing the bootable image if I don't mind having the entire drive content erased? TIA.
No Events found!