Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 27th, 2013 06:00

How to reset BIOS password?

Hi Friends,

I have a DELL inspiron 15 (N5010) laptop. Few days back I set BIOS password. Unexpectedly I forgot the password. While going to BIOS, my laptop is asking for password. I tried many times but unable to enter correct password. Can any one please tell me how to proceed further for resetting the password?

Thanks in advance...

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 27th, 2013 10:00

You'll need to call Dell and verify your ownership of the system.  They'll then generate a master password for you.

There is a support call charge of about $60 (US) if you're out of warranty.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 27th, 2013 10:00

I am moving this thread to the Laptop Forum.

Bev.

1.5K Posts

May 29th, 2013 00:00

Hi Niranjan,

Welcome to the community.

As per your private message to us we have replied to you. Kindly let us know the information on the private message only so we can reset the password for you.

If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

1.5K Posts

June 4th, 2013 00:00

Hi Niranjan,

As per the conversation on the private message I understand that the issue has been resolved to your satisfaction. If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

4 Posts

June 14th, 2013 05:00

Windows 8 starts and it asks for a password to login into windows 8.  There is also a password on the bios version A02

Aptio setup utility - American Megatrends, Inc.  It will not allow me to change anything in the bios.  It this because of the Windows 8 password?  

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

1.5K Posts

June 15th, 2013 08:00

Hi Greg,

Please share if you are able to boot to Windows 8 after you enter the password. The BIOS Setup changes are not effected by Windows 8 login password.

Boot to BIOS Setup by pressing F2 key at Dell Logo screen. Under the Security tab, the Unlock Setup Status should be Unlocked. On this screen you will be able to check if any password is set or not.

Hope this helps. Please reply if you have any questions.

4 Posts

June 16th, 2013 07:00

The BIOS is locked and password protected so I cannot change anything in the BIOS because I do not know the password.   How can I reset the password?

1.5K Posts

June 18th, 2013 07:00

Hi GeeBee50,

Please share the system's Service Tag and Owner's Name via private message (click my username and then click Start Conversation). I will try and check if a master password can be generated for this.

Please reply with the information.

1.5K Posts

June 18th, 2013 09:00

Hi Greg,

Please provide the system's Service Tag and Owner's Name via private message (click my username and then click Start Conversation). I'll check if we can get a master password created.

Please reply with the information, I'll be happy to help.

1 Message

August 4th, 2013 14:00

I have the same problem with an Inspiron N4110 laptop. 

Private message sent.  Thank you for helping.

4 Posts

August 4th, 2013 14:00

I  had to send my laptop back to Dell to replace the motherboard.  If your laptop is still under warranty you should contact Dell support for help.

1.5K Posts

August 5th, 2013 11:00

Hi Michael,

I have replied to your query, please check and reply back with the information, so that I can assist you further.

1 Message

August 12th, 2013 06:00

i have the same problem and i dont have the owner's name but i do have the service tag,,what should i do ?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 12th, 2013 06:00

If you can't contact the original owner, you'll need to replace the mainboard.

1 Message

August 26th, 2013 06:00

i have the same problem , i lost bios password 

service tag :

No Events found!