Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 2nd, 2012 18:00

How to switch from integrated intel video card to ati radeon video card in inspiron 14Z (5423)?

HI all!

i did it in device manger but the ATI video card doesn´t work properly. in fact it says there are no display drivers for the selected Video card.

Also i tried to download the latest drivers from AMD, but it shows me a message saying that my video card isnt supported.

any tip or workaround would be appreciated.

thank you in advance.

Marco.

3.1K Posts

November 2nd, 2012 21:00

Hi Macro,

You can update AMD driver from the link mentioned below:

• Click on the link http://dell.to/YhoaVS
  • Click on ‘Download File’
  • Check on the radio box ‘Single-file download’
  • Click on ‘Continue’
  • Choose the location as desktop,
  • Click on ‘Save’, save the file on the desktop
  • Double click on the file; choose ‘Continue’
  • Click 'OK' on ‘Select the folder’ where you want to unzip the files (make a note of the folder location)
  • Click ‘Yes’
  • Click ‘Ok’, follow the on screen instructions and install the file
  • Restart the computer

In case you do not get prompts on the screen for instructions, then

• Browse to the folder where the files were unzipped and locate the setup file
  • Double click on the file; follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation

There are two modes in Catalyst Control Center: 'Power saving' and 'High Performance'. If 'Power saving' is selected for an application, then it uses Intel graphics card. If 'High Performance' is selected for an application, it automatically uses the AMD Radeon graphics card. You can configure it according to your preference. It is advisable that you choose 'High Performance' for application which uses more memory like games etc. 
Here’s how you can configure it:

• Click on ‘Start’
  • Click on ‘Programs’
  • Click on ‘Catalyst Control Center’
  • Click on ‘Power’
  • Select ‘Switchable Graphics’

• Choose an application from the list or browse and select an application and assign the appropriate GPU such as High Performance, Power Saving
  • To assign any specific application, you can click on ‘Browse’ and look in the specific folder for .exe file

• Click on 'High Performance' or 'Power Saving' under 'Recent Applications' to change association (In high performance mode, the system uses the AMD HD graphics processor for rendering the application. In power saving mode, the system uses the Intel HD graphics processor for rendering)

The below mentioned applications only work with Integrated (Intel) video card. It is an expected behavior of AMD graphics card :

• wmplayer.exe
  • ehshell.exe
  • moviemaker.exe
  • PowerDVD*.exe
  • WinDVD.exe

For more details, you can also refer to the attached file http://en.community.dell.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/3519/7848.AMD-limitations.pdf 

Please reply if you have any questions.

2 Posts

November 4th, 2012 12:00

Thank you!!!

that was really quick.

;D

1 Message

April 25th, 2013 04:00

Hi Appu,

That is a wonderful guide. But even after switching the application 3DMark 11 to High performance, the application is running with Intel HD graphics 4000. I don't know why this is happening. I tried running the application with battery and on power plugged in, It gave me the same result. I tried rebooting the machine after non battery mode.that also did not help.Please help. I bought the laptop 2 weeks back.

Thanks in advance,

Sujay M

4 Posts

June 7th, 2013 08:00

hi.. if you wont to be sure that ur AMD GPU is already running go to device manger and disable it and try to open a heavy 3D game and u will notice that the game will not open,

there is just a problem in figure out this GPU in the such 3DMark or the Subscore test

i have the same problem and i asked my self the same questions but  when i search a little bit i found that the Intel 4000 HD graphics cant open the Hitman Absolution even in the low settings in the time i play it in the medium high settings.

and you can download the game-debate game checker from there website ,, this little program know every thing :)

3 Posts

August 20th, 2013 12:00

hi , i tryed to  install the program but after it says finished in the ati technologies folder is none  and i only have installed the install manager , can you help me?

3 Posts

August 20th, 2013 16:00

i installed catalyst but when i press start nothing happens

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

August 20th, 2013 20:00

Hi DeNeZe,

I would suggest you to uninstall the video card drivers on the system. Please follow the steps mentioned below to uninstall the video card.

1. Click on Start button.
  2. Start typing devmgmt.msc and then press enter.
  3. Select the both graphics card device under display adapters and right click on it
  4. Now select properties.
  5. In the properties window, under Driver tab, click on Uninstall button.
  6. Check “Delete the driver software for this device.”
  7. You want to delete the driver click OK.
  8. After the uninstall finishes restart the system. Then reinstall the video card driver on the system for issue resolution. Download the video card drivers from Video section onto the system using the link below, please download Intel drivers first and install it, restart the system and then install the NVidia drivers for issue resolution.

http://dell.to/ZaQuel

Please let me know if this helps.

3 Posts

October 3rd, 2013 16:00

Hi DELL-RAVI CH,

I got same problem here with DeNeZe, but when i open my device manager, i cant see 2 display adapter.. The display adapter just show Intel HD Graphic, i dont know what must i do.. I had upgrade my BIOS too, i almost think maybe my 14z 5423 haven't ati radeon, its that true ? If my dell 5423  i5 core dont have ati radeon?

3.1K Posts

October 3rd, 2013 23:00

Hi Heqmatyar,

Inspiron 5423/14z is shipped with an integrated Intel HD graphics or an optional discrete video card. The discrete video card needs to be selected at the time of purchase. If you chose ATI Radeon card at the time of purchase, it will show up in Device manager. If you didn't choose the discrete card, then it would only show as Intel HD graphics in Device Manager.

You can check the system specifications online. Click on this link http://dell.to/11iojrK -> type the service tag of the computer -> click on System Configuration -> Original Configuration. Look for the Radeon or Intel.

Please reply if you have any questions.

3 Posts

October 4th, 2013 07:00

Thanks DELL-APPU S,

I just see Intel, so its mean my graphic card is integrated Intel HD graphic , if that's right.. can i overclock my GPU  with Intel Extreme Tuning Utility ? cause i can't see overclock system in BIOS setup

3.1K Posts

October 5th, 2013 04:00

Hi Heqmatyar,

Dell does not support or recommend overclocking for this system. Overclocking may cause irreversible instability to the system. You may try to overclock it at your own discretion.

3 Posts

October 5th, 2013 07:00

Thanks for you suggest DELL-APPU S

3.1K Posts

October 8th, 2013 01:00

Hi Heqmatyar,

Glad you've found the information. Do reach out the forums in case you face any other issues in the future.

3 Posts

October 8th, 2013 15:00

I dont have Nvidia I have Radeon

2 Posts

April 24th, 2014 04:00

Hi Dell-APPU S, 

I too have the 14z with Intel HD Graphics and I was wondering if it is possible to just buy the ATI card and install it now... or is the model which you order with the ATI card altogether different?

Thanks

No Events found!