Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 26th, 2010 02:00

How to use Intel HD Graphics (Core i5) on Studio 17 (1749) instead of ATI 5650 - Switchable Graphics

Hi everyone,

I have a Studio 1749 with Core i5 520-M and ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650; OS: Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.

The ATI card is ok, but when working with battery, I'd like to disable it and use instead the Intel HD Graphics chip availble on the i5, so to extend the battery duration...

I tried downloading from intel site the Intel HD graphics driver, but it installs only the Turbo Boost drivers... No trace of the HD graphics driver.
Moreover, in the Device Manager of Win7, under Display Adapters, only Ati Mobility Radeon HD 5650 appears and there are no traces of the Intel HD Graphics...

Is possibile to switch from ATI to HD Graphics? Are there any drivers for this?
Or has the Intel HD Graphics been disabled by bios?

Thank you very much in advance!

10 Posts

March 26th, 2010 09:00

Thanks for the info, but I searched in the BIOS and found no option of such type...

Nor I found nothing useful on web, the problem seems that Windows doesn't see the HD Graphics at all..

5.2K Posts

March 26th, 2010 09:00

Yes, the answer may be in the BIOS. See if there is a section to select what graphics to use. This, however, would not be a convenient method to switch back and forth between graphics processors. Do a web search for this issue to see what you find.

5.2K Posts

March 26th, 2010 11:00

I didn't find anything either.

Could be that the BIOS has locked it out, or that the system board has been set to not allow it. 

I looked at the 1749 Repair Manual and found that, like most current laptops, the graphics processor is part of the system board and not an add-on card. Therefore, the system board manufacturer has most likely not provided wiring for the Intel on-chip video. There is probably no way to activate the Intel graphics.

To minimize battery drain when on battery, you can set the screen brightness to a lower setting. There are other power saving settings found in the Power Settings which will reduce power consumption.

10 Posts

March 27th, 2010 03:00

The idea to use the integrated graphics is to take advantage of the fact that the TDP of i5 (35W) is comprehensive of the graphics too, other than the CPU itself and Northbridge. It could be a big battery saving...

Should be great if the laptop could use something like this and allows switching from integrated to discrete graphics.
I'll make further search for switchable graphics tecnology.

If dell had a decent customer care, i'd ask them if it's a limitation of the bios (in that case they should fix it) or if it's an hardware problem (no physical connection to intel HD graphics). In the latter case should be the umpteenth reason to stay away from dell...

I'll let you know if I find something useful...

Tnx again!

5.2K Posts

March 27th, 2010 12:00

I think the HP approach is great for extending battery time. Too bad most manufacturers don't use it. Dell has for a long time allowed either built in (Intel) graphics or graphics with an add on board. However, this needed two different system boards for each model; one with Intel, one for others. Most Dell's now have enhanced graphics adapters also built into the system board, still requiring different system boards.

Ah well, ours is not to question why,...........

5 Posts

March 30th, 2010 01:00

Well, our laptop (1749) has core i5 Arrandale that contains northbridge inside it, this northbridge contains intel GMA HD, their new IGP, but still both AMD and Intel claims there is a need for special conditions in order that switchable graphics get functional.

We have all necessary hardware (I hardly believe they remove GMA HD from the Northbridge, and Intel doens't seems to sold some Arrandale without it), but software part is in progress at best, or not even thinked about at worst, for us...

Just a note to keep smiling, ATI 5650 when in low power consumption mode is quite low on power and frequencies, even if we surely lost some autonomy compared to consumption with IGP, we keep a quite good one :)

Sure this is good enough, but I still want IGP selectable, it's not because Dell didn't promote this functionnality that i'll give up on it.
When buying this system I carefully choose each piece of hardware according to Intel Calpella : HD5xxx, core i Arrandale, and HM55 that is only a southbridge and compared to PM55 lose some ports (sata, usb...) to give access to switchable graphics, and it's their only difference...

Why put HM55 without using its only unique capability ? This seems strange to me...

6 Posts

May 3rd, 2010 00:00

Hi,

Todd, Brad or others, is it possible to have a reaction from Dell about this discussion ?

Why swichable graphic didn't work on this laptop ? Is it due to a hard or soft limitation ? Will it be enabled in the future ?...

Thanks

1 Message

July 10th, 2010 06:00

I'm having the same issue. I only recently bought a Dell Inspiron N5010 less than a week ago, specifically choosing the Core i5 option because I'd read that it would have Integrated Graphics, along with the Dedicated ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470.

While the ATI chip works great, I'd still like to be able to switch to the lower-end option that's supposed to be built-into every Core i5, so I can conserve battery life or to simply protect the dedicated graphics from frying out in hot weather so that it won't die like my last laptop did :(

I really hope that this limitation is only a soft-lock, and not a hardware configuration, and that Dell would shed some light on this already, please!

3 Posts

December 2nd, 2010 15:00

any reaction from dell?

dell latitude E6410 with core i7. Any ability to switch graphic?

1.1K Posts

December 3rd, 2010 12:00

Does it mean that the automatic switching between the Intel graphic & the dedicated graphic processor does not take place depending on the need?

Like that takes place with some other branded laptops? 

I am just looking into buying a laptop and researching and stumbled upon this thread. I wish to buy a Dell but awaits for an informed answer .

Would any link such as this available to get it going in a Dell's laptop, I wonder if anyone has developed something similar to gfxcardstatus, which provides full manual control over GPU switching in MBPs that have two GPUs.?

Regards

April 2nd, 2011 15:00

is there any update on this?

is it possible to switch graphics on different brands hp, lenovo, acer?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 2nd, 2011 16:00

It depends on the design of the system and the operating system you use - there is no single answer.  Some do support switchable graphics - others don't - or do, only under specific operating systems (nVidia's Optimus technology works only under Windows 7 - not XP or Linux).

1 Message

May 11th, 2011 12:00

There is a dell laptop studio 1749 that has onboard intel hd and no other card ,if is possible to have slot pci free to meke upgrade video card?! i think  as,all models have and INTEL HD and video card and it has no video card!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 11th, 2011 12:00

No Studio model has a video card slot, period.

3.6K Posts

May 11th, 2011 13:00

If you want to run just the Intel chip,instead of the ATI,select the .exe selectable file from the program you want to use and set it to run with the Intel chip instead of the ATI chip.Just add the programs .exe to the Intel graphic options panel.

No Events found!