Highlighted
IDamian
1 Nickel

Re: I am new so if I have forgotten something please let know; The speakers on my XPS L701X (Windows 7) stopped working recently

Where I am now is that it still is not fixed. I have convinced Dell to replace the motherbboard to see if that is the prolem ut I have my doubts since I can hear the speakers if I do not use Windows. That ssuggests to me that the motherboard is working. When it comes to backups, I have back-upped every week HOWEVER there are various kinds of backups and I am not certain whicn I have. I have a snapshot of my system and I have certain files backed up that were chosen b y the system . These file may or may not allow me to replace all the files I need after a reconfig, BUT I AM NOT CERTAIN OF THIS. There is a second backup system which involves an emergency disk and I simply do not understand the difference or whether doing it that way is more comprehensive. It is simply not clear.This mean I do not know what my options are when it comes to relying on backups, since I do not know which kind of backups I am relying on. Does that explain things more clearly?

0 Kudos
IDamian
1 Nickel

Re: I am new so if I have forgotten something please let know; The speakers on my XPS L701X (Windows 7) stopped working recently

Where I am now is that it still is not fixed. I have convinced Dell to replace the motherbboard to see if that is the prolem ut I have my doubts since I can hear the speakers if I do not use Windows. That ssuggests to me that the motherboard is working. When it comes to backups, I have back-upped every week HOWEVER there are various kinds of backups and I am not certain whicn I have. I have a snapshot of my system and I have certain files backed up that were chosen b y the system . These file may or may not allow me to replace all the files I need after a reconfig, BUT I AM NOT CERTAIN OF THIS. There is a second backup system which involves an emergency disk and I simply do not understand the difference or whether doing it that way is more comprehensive. It is simply not clear.This mean I do not know what my options are when it comes to relying on backups, since I do not know which kind of backups I am relying on. Does that explain things more clearly?

0 Kudos
Jim Coates
5 Osmium

I have my doubts since I can hear the speakers if I do not use Windows. That ssuggests to me that the motherboard is working.

I agree. Your symptoms point to the problem being a faulty sense pin in the headphone jack. The sense pin (when it is working) triggers some Windows-based switching software. If the sense pin is not working then the Windows-based software does not function and so the audio signal does not get routed to the speakers. That explains why your speakers work both when you do not use Windows and when you run the Dell Diagnostics audio tests. As I said in the Headphone Jack FAQ in the section "The Reason that Dell Diagnostics Audio Tests Pass", the tests do not run in Windows (that is why you have to re-boot and change the boot menu to get to the tests).

So I agree that replacing the motherboard is not likely to help. The jacks are on the separate I/O circuit board that also has the eSata/usb jack and the ports on the right rear of your laptop. Here is a link to the XPS L701X Service Manual section about replacing the I/O circuit board. The 2nd picture is the view from the bottom so everything looks reversed -- the back of the laptop is facing left.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xpsL701X/en/sm/iobrd.htm#wp1213253

I do not know what my options are when it comes to relying on backups

Everybody has their own strategy I suppose. I only save my data files, plus the .exe files of any applications I might want to re-install, and e-mails. I save them to external media such as an external hard drive and dvd's. One could also use a storage site on the internet such as Dell DataSafe Online. You should post on the  New to the Community Board where there are people who would know which options would be best for you with your XPS laptop. There is also a Storage Board but it seems to be for technical issues with the storage software.

Jim Coates -- 15 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos
IDamian
1 Nickel

The thing about the sense pin is that it is backwards in time for it to be the reason I can't hear. In other words, I did not have ear phones (and consequently a faulty headphone jack...unless the JACK is not part of the headphones but is part of the laptop, which isn't clear to me from how you phrased it) when I first got the laptop and only purchased them AFTER my speakers stopped working, hoping that they would replace the speakers, which they did. So I do not think this sense pin on the Ear Phones CAUSED the issue.

As to your link, I did not see any I/O circuit board, in fact no pics come up, just a great many steps to follow for separate issues.

0 Kudos
Jim Coates
5 Osmium

Welcome back.

unless the JACK is not part of the headphones but is part of the laptop, which isn't clear to me from how you phrased it

In the U.S.,  headphones have a cable attached to them, and at the end of the cable is a metal piece called the "plug" (the male part). The plug goes into a receptacle called a "jack" (the female part).  I understand that in some countries the respective terms would be "jack plug" and "jack socket". That makes more sense than the U.S. terminology because "jack" should refer to a male part rather than to the female component.

So I do not think this sense pin on the Ear Phones CAUSED the issue.

The sense pin can fail whether or not you use headphones. The main symptom of failure is that the computer thinks there is a headphones plug in the jack socket whether there is or not.  If the computer thinks that there is a plug in the jack socket then it will mute the speakers.

As to your link, I did not see any I/O circuit board, in fact no pics come up, just a great many steps to follow for separate issues.

I just checked the link it and it works okay for me.  All of those steps are not for separate issues. Those are all of the steps a technician has to follow to disassemble the laptop enough to get to the point where he or she could replace the jack circuit board.

0 Kudos
IDamian
1 Nickel

Yesterday I had my speakers replaced. No Help.

I was wondering, could I uninstall ONE BY ONE ALL of the WIndows Security updatesa and in this way determine if ONE of them created this problem with my speakers? Of course after on eis uninstalled and nothing happens I would reinstall it immediately and go on to the next.

THEN could I uninstall all 112  INSTALLE PROGRAMS ON ADD?REMOVE ONE BY ONE< to see if that has any affect on the issue?

Do either of these scenarios make any sense?

Last week supposed ly I wasass told they did replace my motherboard.

0 Kudos
Jim Coates
5 Osmium

Yesterday I had my speakers replaced. No Help.

If the poster is still talking about his sense pin issue then replacing the speakers naturally would not help.

Last week supposed ly I wasass told they did replace my motherboard.

I already told him that the jack is not on the motherboard so replacing the motherboard naturally did not help. I am finished giving advice about this.

0 Kudos
IDamian
1 Nickel

Jim , Thanks for staying with me on this. After 7 months I now have it working. (I just saw your note about not using this FAQ space of yours to respond but I do not know where to respond so that you will see the response. But since this will be my last note, I will no longerbe taking up yor private area. Sorry for any inconvenience I caused) The reason it worked is that after the mother board was replaced this last time evidently that solved the -problem. I should have insisted that Dell do this at the beginning because it was your series of responses and your  FAQ that suggested the MB would be at fault but Dell fought me on this till I guess they gave up. At any reate for the first time since I got the computer I now have heard the deep rich speaker on this and I am totally pleased that it works so well! Actually I am amazed at the clarity and richness that they produce, especially in the bass. Thanks again for hanging in there so long!

Damian

0 Kudos
Jim Coates
5 Osmium

Glad it is finally working for you. Sorry you had so much trouble with Dell. They don't seem to understand about this particular audio issue.

0 Kudos