Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 26th, 2010 17:00

I am trying to update the BIOS on a Dell Inspiron 1501 to take care of the common AC adapter/battery not charging/freezing issue.

I am trying to update the 1.7 BIOS on a Dell Inspiron 1501 to take care of the common AC adapter/battery not charging/freezing issue. I am familiar with the BIOS issue failing for a lot of people and the common AC adapter/battery not charging/freezing issue. I have tried updating the BIOS to 2.6.3 by putting the executable in the root directory, using a flash drive, and using safe mode. All have failed.

Then I tried updating from 1.7 to 2.1 and it worked. I then updated to 2.3 and it worked. I updated by putting the executable in the root directory and running the program. I have tried this same method for all successes and failures. All of the updates above 2.3 have failed. I keep getting the following error:

BIOS UPDATE FAILED

BIOS IS NOT FLASHABLE

ERROR CODE 144

I am not really sure what to try next. I am sure someone out there has a good idea or two. Please do not say update the BIOS in DOS, that is not an option with this BIOS. Please do not say not to update the BIOS. This computer is not functional until I can update to 2.6.3 and eliminate these problems.

Any and all help is appreciated. THANKS!

2 Posts

May 26th, 2010 17:00

I just successfully went from 2.3 to 2.4.1 by removing the battery before I updated the BIOS. I did not have to remove the battery for the other updates to work. Very interesting. I will keep trying to update and post results.

No Events found!