Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 12th, 2015 22:00

I can't use ascii codes

hello all,

I have a notebook Inspiron 14 3000 Series, and I tried use ascii codes with Fun + alt + num keys

I've checked internet about this problem but I didn't find:

fun + alt, fun + f4, fun + f11, fun + widows... etc keys not working

I don't have Bloq Num key

the model is

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-14-3451-laptop/pd

I need you help, please I've not fond the soution

9.4K Posts

August 13th, 2015 05:00

Hi Svandalo,

Thanks for posting!

How to get ascii characters on your laptop keyboard

Getting ascii characters on a regular keyboard simply requires that you press alt + a combination of numbers on your number pad.  However, it's just a little bit different on a laptop that doesn't have a normal number pad.

To get ascii characters on a laptop keyboard you can use one of two methods.

Press and hold the fn + alt keys, punch in the number of the ascii character you want and then let go of the fn + alt keys

or

Press fn + num lk keys (the little light above num lk should light up), and then press alt + the number of the ascii character you want on the laptop number pad.

If you used the first method and you want to get ¾, you just press and hold fn + alt, punch in 0190 on the laptop numpad and then let go fn + alt.  You should then see ¾.

Post back if you need additional assistance.  Thanks.

Regards,
Robert

3 Posts

August 13th, 2015 21:00

thanks for your response
but my keyboard is different
I've used the actions that you mentioned before of create this post

this is my keyboard

9.4K Posts

August 17th, 2015 11:00

It appears you have purchased an entry model laptop that does not have the keyboard numeric keypad feature.  In that case you would have to use the following method from Microsoft:

Special characters are characters that cannot be found on your keyboard. These can include symbols, special mathematical characters, and characters from other languages. You can insert special characters into your documents by using Character Map.

1. Open Character Map by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking All Programs, clicking Accessories, clicking System Tools, and then clicking Character Map.

2. In the Font list, type or select the font you want to use.

3. Click the special character you want to insert into the document.

4. Click Select, and then click Copy.

5. Open your document and position the cursor where you want the special character to appear.

6. On the Edit menu, click Paste.

Regards,
Robert

3 Posts

August 19th, 2015 17:00

Yes, I knew about that option but it take long time when I use a lot of ascii codes

isn't an option fast for write when I'm busy

1 Message

January 29th, 2016 16:00

Is Dell selling inclomplete products? I have a new Latitude 3450 not buyed by me, but assigned to me from my job, having same problem.

1 Message

June 18th, 2016 12:00

Hi! I recently adquire a Dell laptop with the same keyboard than yours and I discovered that when you touch the combination of Fn+Alt you can access to the ASCII code with the letters "J,K,L" as "1,2,3", "U,I,O" as "4,5,6" and "7,8,9" as"7,8,9" and de "M" as a 0.

I have no clue of how can I use the keyboard as a standar numberpad, if you know the way please tell me!

Regards.

No Events found!