Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 18th, 2013 03:00

I cant enter into bios using external monitor

Hello,I am using Dell Inspiron n4010 from the last 2.5 yrs.My laptop monitor stopped working thats why I bought an external Dell monitor..................Its working fine but I need to install the windows now..........Unfortunately,I cant enter into the BIOS from the external monitor and cant change the boot device to DVD rom.

Can anyone please tell how can I enter into the BIOS by using the external monitor(I have set it as a primary monitor but it still not working)??The screen comes up after the windows turns on..........Is there any way to recover it???????Please help..........

934 Posts

May 18th, 2013 08:00

Yes - I know - that is what I am trying to show you how to do !

If you follow my instructions given in my last post you won't see anything during the "6 seconds".but the boot process will stop at the BIOS screen  and pressing the FN&F1 or F1 will switch from the dead internal monitor to the external.

934 Posts

May 18th, 2013 05:00

If you want to see display messages on an external monitor on BIOS level you have to press a key combination that's the way it works on my inspirion 1545.Pressing FN & F1 at powerup switches to the external monitor.

Looking at an n4010 keyboard picture you may try pressing FN & F1 or just F1

934 Posts

May 18th, 2013 07:00

Turn on the system and instantly keep tapping F2 for about 6 seconds.This will take you to the BIOS screen.Now try again the key combination or just F1

Good luck

7 Posts

May 18th, 2013 07:00

Thanks for the reply but unfortunately both of them didnt work..... :(

7 Posts

I think you didnt read my post....my laptop display damaged thats why I bought a new monitor and its working fine...............when i turn on the system it never shows any boot messages.........it only shows the screen when computer finishes all booting processes...............I have tried by pressing f2 while starts up but nothing comes up..........just full black........

7 Posts

I need to see the BIOS display in the EXTERNAL MONITOR not INTERNAL MONITOR.........

7 Posts

May 18th, 2013 09:00

omg! it works........:) Thanks........I wasted my full day on it and was very upset.....now finally got answer......Thanks again.........

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 18th, 2013 10:00

Choose the USB option.

934 Posts

you're welcome

7 Posts

Can you please help me a bit more?I am using external dvd rom.....so,which boot device should i select to boot from the external drive?

9 Posts

September 17th, 2016 17:00

I have a Dell inspiron 5720 with bad monitor. I also have an external monitor. It worked earlier when using the instruction stated above to enter into bios, and then use FN+F1 to switch display to external monitor.

However, I later made a mistake to enable UEFI boot, and 'Secure boot'. Now I can not switch bios display to external monitor. So I can not correct this mistake either., because I can not see bios display. Please help.

BIOS is 5720A19. How can I change boot back to legacy, and disable secure boot. Although the laptop screen is bad, I can still tell whether it enter into bios display. I use F9. But do know what else should I do to reset bios to factory defaults.

No Events found!