Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 24th, 2009 13:00

I got a Mini 10 with Ubuntu! And it's... awful?

So, a couple weeks ago at around 5:00am, in the throes of insomnia I ordered a mini 10 with Ubuntu. I actually kinda forgot about it until I received the order confirmation.

After toying around with it a bit, it's pretty enjoyable, and I really like Ubuntu (even though I don't know my way around very well yet), but it's pretty sluggish. I more or less wrote it off as a big deal, but upon further consideration, I've seen Hardy run better on a Pentium 3! Scrolling on the internet is choppy, and sometimes it will even keep scrolling for a second or two after I've stopped. Furthermore, I can hardly watch videos on it and, occasionally, the sound will just stop. While with my family at Best Buy, I tried toying around with some of the netbooks there and pretty much all of them outperformed mine, even though they were loaded with Windows (surprising because, in theory, Ubuntu seems like it should be more a more efficient OS). I could even move windows around without it skipping.

Is there something wrong with my Netbook, or are they all this poor of quality? The ones on display were much better than mine, so I can only assume that mine is either a dud (which I can't really imagine since they're all manufactured about the same), or their Ubuntu "remix" is just a broken, sad affair.

Anyone have any ideas on this? I asked around at the Ubuntu forums, but their suggestions seem a little too involved, and furthermore, I feel like the netbook should just operate more smoothly on its base configuration.

Thanks all!

-Johnny K.

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

December 24th, 2009 16:00

I am very satisfied with how Ubuntu 9.10 runs for me on my 9-year old Dimension 4100 with 1GHz Pentium 3 and 512MB RAM.

December 24th, 2009 17:00

Hey, Totoro!

...yeah, I was thinking about upgrading to 9.10, but I've heard mixed results when it comes to stability and support. It really bugs me, though, that this this is so sloppy for me. People seem willing to resign my worries to "well, it's a netbook, so what do you really expect," but even then I know this thing can do better. Even now, as I'm typing, it will occasionally stall and then catch up with a few words suddenly popping up at once to catch back up to where I'm at.

Bummerage.

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

December 24th, 2009 18:00

For my Latitude D400, Ubuntu 9.10 works with everything including wireless (unencrypted). It should be noted that I don't have Dell installs of Ubuntu. I use the ones from ubuntu.com

You might want to pay a visit to  http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/

No Events found!