Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 1st, 2016 07:00

I hate my Dell XPS15 (9550)

I was so pleased that I could finally afford to buy a top of the range laptop.

After years of building my own PCs to a budget, price was finally no object.

So £1600 later, I'm happy, right? No. I'm not. This computer is a pile of *** and I hate myself for having parted with so much money for such a poor product and, more importantly, such poor service from Dell.

- Dell Premier Color - update install wouldn't work. Uninstalled it completely on the advice of Dell techs as a 'just try this', so now I don't even have the old version.

- Can't save things easily to Desktop. I've stopped that many Services - from Dell ones, to Intel ones to Nvidia ones, based on advice from forums across the internet - yet I still get the 'working on it' blank from Windows Explorer when I try to save things to Desktop.

- When I turn my external 4k monitor off and then back on again, all the windows which were left open (the laptop itself doesn't get turned off) are reduced in size as if they've been viewed on the laptop screen. So I have to move them all about and resize them again. Used to be ok - changed after a BIOS update.

- Had to wait six months from laptop launch for the appropriate USB-C adaptor to be available (so that I could have a wired network connection). I think the webstore link for it online is still broken; I only found out about because I moaned at one of Dell's sales chat bots. Ordered it; delivery promised in 2 days. Took five days off work to accept delivery, before it finally arrived eight days later. £72 for a little bit plastic. Amazon deliver stuff next day, every time!

I wish I could just give this laptop back. I've bought my kids and my wife and my old folks laptops in the £300-500 range over the last few years and not one has missed a beat. I decide to treat myself and it's just a PITA.

Moan, moan, moan, moan, moan... :D

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 2nd, 2016 05:00

Since you're beyond the return period and still unhappy, sell the system and buy what you want.  The sooner you do that, the less money you'll lose in the process.

11 Posts

May 2nd, 2016 05:00

... and don't even get me started on the crackling it randomly plays back through the external speakers.

No Events found!