Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 25th, 2012 19:00

I was given a Dell Insprion b130 laptop that has no drivers (thus no internet access) after the previous owner reinstalled the operating system...

The previous owner is an Physiologist and told me he had no idea what he was trying to do. LOL. He ended up buying a new laptop.

Looking into the system it appears he wiped everything off the hard drive as he installed from a cd.

So I am unable to use wireless or rj45 to go online to download drivers.  This Dell has Windows XP Professional.

I have a Toshiba Windows7 laptop.  How should I go about obtaining drivers and getting them into the Inspiron b130?

Will the b130 recognize and read the drivers from a usb,cd or dvd if I download them from Dell?

Or do I need to order a recovery disk from somewhere?

Or was I given a paperweight? I was interested in having the xp laptop as a first computer for my 5 year old twins.

Any step by step advice would be appreciated since I am no genius either. 

Thank you.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 26th, 2012 00:00

You should download the following files to a USB stick using the Toshiba. 

Did you can get the Dell XP Professional Reinstallation CD from the previous owner? If not ask for it. You should probably do a Clean install see my guide A Clean Install of Windows XP.

Operating System Updates

Windows XP Service Pack 3

Internet Explorer 8

Windows Media Player 11

Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0

Microsoft .NET Framework Version 3.0

Microsoft .NET Framework Version 3.5

Microsoft .NET Framework Version 4.0

Microsoft Security Essentials

Microsoft Security Essentials Latest Definition (32 bit)

Utility

Dell Notebook Software (R120775)<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>

Chipset

Intel Chipset (R114079)

Video

Intel Video (R128346)

Communication

Conexant (R90851, R114200)

Network

Broadcom (R108904, R150593)

Intel PROSET Wireless R155386 or Dell Wireless 1470 R151519*

Audio

Audio (R171789)

Input

Touchpad (R120179)

Application

Dell Quickset (R151309)

Install in order from the USB stick.*If you don't know what one, install both one will fail to install.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 25th, 2012 19:00

If the quick restore (CTRL-F11 at the Dell screen) doesn't bring up the restore menu, then ...

You will need to purchase a copy of Windows (you cannot use the OS from the Toshiba on anything but another Toshiba).

The drivers can all be downloaded from support.dell.com.

You MUST start with

The Dell notebook system software

The chipset driver

the network (wired and or wireless) drivers.

Install Windows, and then install these drivers from CD, DVD or flash drive IN THAT ORDER.

August 27th, 2012 21:00

What would your advice be to create a "recovery disk" since I cannot locate the dell recovery software or dell accessories that I find mentioned in the online manual.  Would there be one software for backup of system xp and drivers or two different softwares.  Thanks.

August 27th, 2012 21:00

Thank you for your help. I was lost and this really accomplished everything I needed to do in a methodical way.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 27th, 2012 23:00

This system is likely too old for that also a manual install has been performed so any mention of the factory partition or making recovery media is redundant. You need the Dell Windows XP Professional reinstallation CD/DVD.

No Events found!