Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

8 Posts

March 15th, 2008 14:00

I8kfanGUI unistall

I installed I8kfanGUI because my gpu was running kinda hot. I then put fan settings all the way up so that they were on the highest settings. I played Cod4 and my gpu was sluggish and processing graphics much much slower that usuall. I have Nvidia Gefore Go 7900 GS. So, I thought maybe the I8kfanGUI is messing around with the GPU. So I uninstalled it via Add/Remove programs in control panel. I also went to program data and files and deleted its folder. My GPU works fine now. Is all the fan control givenen back to the BIOS now since the program is gone? I want to make sure so that nothing will overheat from fans not turning on.

Also, was this program safe to use? The discalmers said it changes the laptops thermal processing.  

Message Edited by Mark1993 on 03-15-2008 10:12 AM

3.6K Posts

March 15th, 2008 21:00

Yes it is safe to use it is a dell utility,but i would go into bios and make sure all the settings were returned to normal.You should have set i8kfan back to the default settings before deleting(not sure,but i would check).

1.5K Posts

March 15th, 2008 22:00

Hold down your [Fn] key and press the key to restore your BIOS Fan Control.

1.5K Posts

March 15th, 2008 23:00

@dgkpcon wrote:
Yes it is safe to use it is a dell utility,<...>
This is correct, it is safe to use, however misuse could cause damage.  It is designed for use on Dell Portables, but is not supported by Dell.

Best would be to use the mode of (^) Show temperatures only, no fan control and you can open [Options] to set what and how, for your display.

Click here to open Fan Control Main Page, v3.1 supporting multi core systems

Art

1.1K Posts

March 16th, 2008 12:00

I was going to post and ask this question also.

I had it to montior the temps. Kept it at SHOW TEMPS NO FAN CONTROL and left it at that except for one instance.. I tried using the programs  settings one time, but didnt' like it so switched it back to SHOW TEMPS ONLY.Then I deleted it to try Coretemp to monitor the core temps.

So I guess my BIOS settings for fan control should be ok, as I only used the program to control the fans the one time?   After switching back to NO FAN CONTROL, I kept the program and monitored since Dec, but the fans seemed to run properly.  So should I still do the FN Z thing?  How do you check the fan settings under BIOS?

Message Edited by eskymi on 03-16-2008 09:38 AM

1.5K Posts

March 16th, 2008 17:00

Fn/Z could be done at any time, it won't change any settings, on my D830 it does momentarily shut the fan off and then it returns to a speed appropriate to the temperature.

You can observe details with use of these utilities and notice if there has been an unexplained increase in heat.

Most important, would be to clean your cooling system at least monthly, as fans will draw in dust that can be captured by the cooling fins of your Thermal Cooling Assembly.

Best way to do this will vary by system, D800 will drop main fan with two screws.  View (from Support top right of this page) your Service Manual, to understand how your systems are constructed.

D830, you can see the fan and cooling fins through the air intake/exhaust, but access is a job best avoided by frequent cleaning through those vents.

Important to prevent high air pressure (like from canned 'air') from overspeeding the fan and damaging fan bearings.

Art 

No Events found!