Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 21st, 2013 01:00

IDT Audio - No sound in headphones - Solved

I have recently had a problem many have reported having and since I've found no definite, posted fixes, here's what worked for me ...

The problem was I could hear sound coming from the speakers, but not from the headphones when I plugged them in. After reading other related community posts (...) and the "Headphone jack FAQ" post by Jimco I went on to check if my problem was a HW or a SW problem, but went about it in a different way.

I tested by booting up Ubuntu Live Desktop 12.04 to test if there is sound in my headphones with an alternative, Linux, driver and found that both speakers and headphones operated normally in Ubuntu - so, obviously a SW problem.

After restarting the computer and booting back to Windows I was suprised to find the problem was corrected in Windows as well.

--

Here's some more background:

- After having detected the problem in the first place, I've restarted the system multiple times (with both headphone jack in and out) to no effect, so it was booting up Ubuntu that somehow fixed the problem, not simply restarting the system.

- Previous to detecting the problem I've been playing around with different Linux distros (PartedMagic, BackTrack, ..) so it's quite possible one of them had caused the problem in the first place. (My current best theory is there is some sort of a 'logical switch' in the ITD firmware that can be mishandled to produce this behaviour, and was reset by Ubuntu's audio driver.)

--

I'd very much like it if someone having the same or similar problem could try and confirm if this procedure (booting up in Ubuntu Live Desktop 12.04) helps ...

1 Message

May 10th, 2013 07:00

A possible fix picked up from a different forum:

->'Playback devices'

->For each device:

->right click ------> properties

->advanced------>Un-check the box 'Allow applications to take exclusive control of the device'

->Restart

I believe that the IDT control panel may not be switching between speakers and headphones properly but others would have to test. Hope this helps.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

February 22nd, 2013 05:00

Thanks for sharing that, ofzza -- very helpful. I will add it to the faq.

18 Posts

May 13th, 2014 12:00

Your Theory looks Right Too me, Sound not Coming from Headphone in my case , i booted in ubuntu audio jack works fine, and then again booted in windows , in windows it also works fine, but after that when i again boot in ubuntu and again boot in windows audio jack won't work... :( i am using dell inspiron N4050 dual booting (windows7, ubuntu)... also i 'm using the latest idt drivers,,... :( i hope they release it's fix as soon ... :(

66 Posts

January 5th, 2017 08:00

I have this happening in the middle of using Windows 7. Tried logging off but only restart helps. Maybe driver needs to be restarting to fix that? But how do I restart driver?

No Events found!