Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 3rd, 2014 03:00

IDT Audio stops working on Latitude E6230

Hello, in our company we are using quite a lot Latitudes E5430/E5530/E6430/E6530/E6440/E6230 and most of them running Windows 8/8.1 x64 without any issues.

One of our colleague with Latitude E6230 strted having problems with IDT audio recently. He has no sound output from speakers or headphones at all. Same in docking station. Drivers are correctly installed, Windows just fail to play sound.

At first solution was to uninstall IDT soundcard, reboot, install them again, reboot and it worked. Now this doesnt work anymore. I booted up Linux Mint 16 Xfce, sound is working fine in linux, so it shouldnt be hardware problem. 

BIOS is latest, so are the IDT drivers directly from Dell. IDT is giving no support, so its up to MS or Dell. 

Has anyone stumbled across this? Im kinda unable to solve this. USB Realtek soundcard works fine.

Reinstalling Windows is not an option, that would take much more extra time, everything else works fine. Motherboard was replaced in past due to problems with docking station connector. I think its not motherboard issue though.

Here are some screenshots, sorry they are in our native Czech language. Drivers are properly installed several times, according to Windows Device is operational fine. Windows Media Player cant play mp3 or anything with sound because it run into issues with sound device. 

Speakers configuration fails to play test sound, absically "Failed to play test sound".

Thanks in advance for reading and some advices!

1 Rookie

• 

32 Posts

September 3rd, 2014 09:00

It does not appear to be an issue with the IDT driver, so probably something to do with Windows. But if you want you can try the Windows native audio driver. If the E6230 still has the same symptoms with the native driver then definitely not the fault of the IDT driver.
1. Open the Device Manager (type devmgmt.msc in the search box and hit Enter).
2. Expand the "Sound, video & game controllers" and right click on "IDT High Definition Audio Codec".
3. Select to "Update Driver Software".
4. Click on "Browse my computer for driver software".
5. Click "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer".
6. Put a check in the box "Show compatible hardware" if not already checked.
7. In the list of devices, click "High Definition Audio" (the native driver).
8. Click "Next".
9. On the Update Driver Warning box, click "Yes" (install the driver).
10. Restart the laptop if prompted. If not prompted, then no need to restart

Okay, this actually helped, since there were two sound controllers. One was IDT Audio Codec and second was generic "Sound device High Definition Audio" so i installed the Windows Generic Audio driver to IDT Audio Codec. After reboot there are two High Definition Audio devices and sound works! Jack detection also works greatly.

Thank you wery much for this input!

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 3rd, 2014 07:00

most of them running Windows 8/8.1 x64

At first solution was to uninstall IDT soundcard, reboot, install them again, reboot and it worked. Now this doesnt work anymore.

There was a July update for Windows 8 that caused sudden stopping of the audio. Usually the audio comes back after re-starting the laptop or re-installing the audio driver, but then stops again. If the E6230 has Windows 8 try removing update KB2962407 (Windows Update>View Update History>Installed Updates). The update did not affect Windows 8.1.

I booted up Linux Mint 16 Xfce, sound is working fine in linux, so it shouldnt be hardware problem. 

Usually when you get no audio from the speakers in Windows but it works in Linux, it is because the impedance sensing in the headphone jack has failed. However when that happens the computer still would play audio through the headphone jack and the test sound and Windows Media Player would all still play. Have you checked Windows Audio Service to make sure it is on?

USB Realtek soundcard works fine.

I didn't know Realtek makes usb sound cards. I would be interested in knowing the model if that is convenient.

Drivers are properly installed several times

It does not appear to be an issue with the IDT driver, so probably something to do with Windows. But if you want you can try the Windows native audio driver. If the E6230 still has the same symptoms with the native driver then definitely not the fault of the IDT driver.

1. Open the Device Manager (type devmgmt.msc in the search box and hit Enter).
2. Expand the "Sound, video & game controllers" and right click on "IDT High Definition Audio Codec".
8. Click "Next".
10. Restart the laptop if prompted. If not prompted, then no need to restart.
[To get back to the IDT driver,  do it again but reverse the names in steps 1 and 6.]

Here are some screenshots, sorry they are in our native Czech language.

I can't figure out how to get Google Translate to translate images (it does a good job with Czech to English text), but as far as I can tell it all looks good.

1 Rookie

• 

32 Posts

1. Open the Device Manager (type devmgmt.msc in the search box and hit Enter).
8. Click "Next".
10. Restart the laptop if prompted. If not prompted, then no need to restart

Okay, this actually helped, since there were two sound controllers. One was IDT Audio Codec and second was generic "Sound device High Definition Audio" so i installed the Windows Generic Audio driver to IDT Audio Codec. After reboot there are two High Definition Audio devices and sound works! Jack detection also works greatly. 

Thank you wery much for this input!

1 Rookie

• 

32 Posts

Hello, thanks for reply.

This E6230 is using Windows 8.1, so WU probably wont have effect here. I have no reports from coworkers with faulty audio, few of them use USB soundcards though, heard complains that IDT audio in these new Latitudes is worse than in their old Latitudes E6400/E6500.

Usually when you get no audio from the speakers in Windows but it works in Linux, it is because the impedance sensing in the headphone jack has failed. However when that happens the computer still would play audio through the headphone jack and the test sound and Windows Media Player would all still play. Have you checked Windows Audio Service to make sure it is on?

No sound both from speakers or audio jack. In linux Mint, speakers works, didnt checked audio jack or docking station outputs. In Windows, Audio service is running i tried even restarting it, still no sound.

I didn't know Realtek makes usb sound cards. I would be interested in knowing the model if that is convenient.

Sorry its C-Media, my bad, though its Realtek but its not. Its supposed to be C-Media CM119, its some chinese 3D Sound no-name USB soundcard, you can get plenty of them on ebay :D

Small pro-tip, in Windows 8/8.1 use shortcut Win+X and corrresponding key for device manager and other stuff. Its even faster than Win+R and typing! (:

Okay i installed the native Windows driver instead of IDT one. I was not prompted for reboot. Still no sound though and the device is still IDT. After reboot its still same.

Also one weird thing, in one USB port the USB soundcard doesnt work anymore, it acts same as internal soundcard with same errors. In other two ports it works just fine. Weird.

I will try hooking some TV via HDMI to see if sound to TV via HDMI is working and then switching audio from HDMI to soundcard.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 3rd, 2014 10:00

I'm glad you got it working.

two sound controllers. One was IDT Audio Codec and second was generic "Sound device High Definition Audio"

There is only supposed to be one of those two at any given time in Device Manager, so I think something is not right in Windows.

1 Rookie

• 

32 Posts

September 3rd, 2014 10:00

Well i can try uninstalling them both and then rescan for new hardware. Maybe the second one is part of the Intel HD Audio in CPU linked to HDMI?

Also just checked one Latitude E5530 with Windows 7, it has High Definiton Audio device and IDT audio. So i think it can be soundcard in Intel CPU, which is used only when HDMI is present?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 3rd, 2014 11:00

Also just checked one Latitude E5530 with Windows 7, it has High Definiton Audio device and IDT audio. So i think it can be soundcard in Intel CPU, which is used only when HDMI is present?

The Intel HDMI audio driver used to be called "Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus", then they changed the name to "Intel Display Audio" -- at least that's the name in my Device Manager on E5420, Windows 7 64-bit, Intel 3000 graphics, IDT audio. So I don't know.

BTW thank you for the Win+X tip.

1 Rookie

• 

32 Posts

September 5th, 2014 04:00

With drivers from Intel its Intel Display Audio. On this laptop drivers are from Microsoft repository, thats probably why its not Intel Display Audio.

On mine ThinkPad T430 i have Realtek AL269, which is audio codec and Intel Display Audio driver. Got drivers directly from Intel.

1 Message

December 7th, 2014 11:00

Thank you, this worked for me!!

1 Message

February 15th, 2015 03:00

Thank you -- Windows native driver restored the sound to my 5 year old laptop.  Very appreciative.

No Events found!