Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 27th, 2012 12:00

INSPIRON N4010 WEBCAM ISSUE

Hi,

My two and a half year old inspiron notebook is having webcam issues. 

The OS no longer detects the webcam. ( Imaging devices gone from device manager). From all the posts I have tried the following:

I did run the webcam  diagnostics ( result : device does not exists )

Updated the Dell webcam central software ( displayed message: Plugin a supported device )

I tired the USB mouse trick. did not work.

I opened the bezel to check the webcam pcb and connections and everything looks intact.

I restored my PC to factory settings but the webcam did not start.

Tried to install the System Utilities , Chipset and Bios drivers in the order mentioned .. but no help.

I am planning to get an external webcam as a last resort to check if it work.

Any help is appreciated to fix this issue.

Regards,

Rubal

1 Message

January 27th, 2013 10:00

If you have re-installed your drivers and software and continue to get indications that your integrated webcam is not connected, you may have a loose connection at the camera.  This is actually very easy to fix on an N4010,especially compared to the aggravation of re-installing software, etc.  Carefully lift off the bezel around the screen.  Begin on the left side by carefully sliding your finger between the screen and the plastic  You will hear clicks as it unsnaps.  Work your way across the top, down the right siide and across the bottom.  I found the corners a bit stubborn, but doing sides before corners made this easy.  Be very carefull across the bottom around the hinges, but it will come off.  Do not rush it, and do not pull more than an inch from the screen.  (If you use a search engine to search "remove screen from Inspiron N4010", there is an excellent video on this.)  (If you have webcam central open, your camera may come to life as soon as you lift the bezel off.) Once the bezel is off, you will see the camera at the top, with a tiny white connector on the right of the lense. You will barely notice, but this is actually a two part connector, with the male part below the female part, coming up from behind the screen.  I used a tiny flat head screw driver to push up on the lower, male part of the connector, closing a gap less than 1/32".  This solved the problem.

13 Posts

December 27th, 2012 12:00

Sorry I missed to mention:  I am running Windows 7 Home premium:

I also tried setting Dell webcam central compatibility to vista service pack 2. It does not work either

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 27th, 2012 19:00

Rubal,

Did you recently install/reinstall the operating system? If yes, did you install the drivers in the correct order? How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Windows 7/8 is supposed to provide the webcam drivers for most Dell computers. If you system needs webcam drivers, go to Drivers & Downloads enter your service tag, then select your operating system. If your system needs webcam drivers, they'll be listed under Input.

Try reading...

Troubleshooting the Dell Webcam and Dell Webcam Central Software

You can try this file, also known as Dell Webcam Central.

Create a new unrestricted user account and try the webcam. Did the webcam work?

If yes, log out and log back in to your account and try the webcam. Did the webcam work?

If no, then the webcam became detached from the motherboard, usually near the webcam

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 28th, 2012 09:00

rubal82,

With the system turned on, unplug the webcam, wait 30 seconds, then plug it back in. The new hardware wizard should open up and install the webcam

Rick

13 Posts

HI Rick,

Thank you for the help.

Did you recently install/reinstall the operating system? If yes, did you install the drivers in the correct order? How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

**** In an effort to get the webcam working I restored the OS to factory settings. I did not manually reinstalled it.

Windows 7/8 is supposed to provide the webcam drivers for most Dell computers. If you system needs webcam drivers, go to Drivers & Downloads enter your service tag, then select your operating system. If your system needs webcam drivers, they'll be listed under Input.

***** I installed the drivers for my service tag.. in the order shown on the Dell website

Try reading...

Troubleshooting the Dell Webcam and Dell Webcam Central Software

You can try this file, also known as Dell Webcam Central.

**** I was using this before. Installed and re-installed and updated to new version. Does not work

Create a new unrestricted user account and try the webcam. Did the webcam work?

*** Where should I create a new user account? Windows login? or a 3rd party video chat tool?

If yes, log out and log back in to your account and try the webcam. Did the webcam work?

If no, then the webcam became detached from the motherboard, usually near the webcam

***** i opened the bezel and checked the connections . The webcam connections are taped and intact.

13 Posts

Hi Rick,

This is an integrated webcam that came assembled with the laptop.

Regards,

Rubal

13 Posts

December 28th, 2012 10:00

Thank you Rick. My guess is the antivirus program deleted the drivers. I did try to reset the laptop to factory settings once. But it did not help. This makes me think that the webcam is loose. I will try to unplug/plug back the webcam while the computer is on to see if it comes back. I have the bezel open as we speak.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 28th, 2012 10:00

Rubal,

The webcam has some issues. Most are because the person installed/reinstalled the operating system and did not install the drivers in the correct order.

Then the webcam drivers gone missing(maybe a windows update ro virus program removed them) Creating a new user account brings them back.

Then there is the webcam comes loose, usually near the webcam. What happens is it's usually where you open and close the laptop screen. The connector comes loose and the webcam goes missing. Unpluggung and plugging it back in bring it back.

Very few webcams fail.

Rick

1 Message

August 3rd, 2014 17:00

Much to my surprise, this worked!  thanks!

No Events found!