Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 30th, 2011 01:00

Improvement of Q15R screen?

Hello all,

I have Inspiron Q15R with screen resolution HD (1366x768) and I would love to upgrade to HD+ (1600x900). They have such screens at laptopscreen.com but only for the original 15R notebook, not for the Q15R (only HD's for this one).

I would like to know if it will work if I buy the HD+ screen and replace the current one. My friend told me that its possible that video card cable would have to be replaced as well - however I do not know where to buy one.

Thanks for answers!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 30th, 2011 03:00

Since doing this will void your warranty - and since you can't upgrade the video chip - you'd be better off selling the system and buying a higher-end model.

December 30th, 2011 14:00

Well, first why would it void the warranty? I just have to keep the original screen. Second, I am perfectly happy with the HW I ve got. The GeForce 525 is more than capable of producing full-hd output to external monitor/TV. But thanks for the suggestion..

So its back to the orginal question, could someone please help?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 30th, 2011 14:00

Your friend is correct - you will need a new data cable for a higher-resolution screen.  Whether it'll work is another matter - if the system isn't offered with the screen you want, there's a very good chance it won't work, so be sure you consider that when you make the purchase.

January 1st, 2012 03:00

Thank you for your answer. I guess I should have been more direct. My question is more along the lines - If I buy the screen and (now that I know) I have the cable - WILL it work? Thanks guys.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 1st, 2012 03:00

Again, there's no way to know until you try.  Unless the system ships with the exact model screen you propose to install, the likelihood is that it won't work.

No Events found!