Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 20th, 2013 02:00

InBuilt Speakers are not Working

I have Dell Vostro bought 1.5 years before.

Currently facing problem like my inbuild speakers are not working and when I plugged my Headphone I can hear the sound.

So Can Anyone tell me what is the exact problem? How to solve this problem?

I have checked Sound Drivers its fine! no problem seems to be at Software side!

Please Help me out!!

Thanks and Regards,

Jay Patel

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

May 13th, 2015 19:00

Sir can  you further tell even after window update, reinstalling driver, no options for speakers is coming, and the only message that no speaker or headphone are plugged in. can you as per your experience and knowledge tell that

Hello. In another thread you posted this:

"Sir I have the same problem, but there is a beep sound during epsa test.I have restored to all the points which were available(five) but no use. windows 8.1 pro is updated.

can you please suggest that is this case may be of blown speakers as the dell tech people are saying."

It is not failure of the speakers because

• You heard tones through the speakers during the test
  • If it was just the speakers the headphones would still work
  • Failure of speakers does not create an error message

So I can say what it is not, but I cannot say whether it is hardware or software failure. There is a test to determine whether or not it is hardware failure. The test is to perform a system recovery (reset the laptop to the original factory configuration) and test the audio immediately after. If still no audio then the codec (audio chip) has failed.

March 20th, 2013 03:00

Hi jay4smile,

'Headphone' produces proper audio; implies that 'audio drivers' are installed. You need to configure the 'playback devices' and select 'Speakers'as the default one.

Please follow the steps listed below:

Check to make sure that the 'Sound Playback Device' is enabled. This can be done by right clicking the 'sound icon' on your 'taskbar'. This will bring up a menu of options to choose from. Choose 'Playback devices'. (Refer to the image below)

Within the 'Sound Playback device window', select 'Speakers' by clicking on it. Then click on 'Set Default' and finally click on Apply or OK. (Refer to the image below). If 'Speakers' are not visible in the list of 'playback devices', right click in a 'blank area' in this window and select 'show disabled devices'.

Hope this helps. Do reply if you have any other questions; would be glad to assist.

To know more about Dell’s products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to http://dell.to/YBlak6

December 19th, 2013 11:00

i am using dell inspiron from last two years, now in built speakers are not working if i use head phones it working. but sound is not coming from in built speakers. please help me.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 19th, 2013 19:00

if i use head phones it working. but sound is not coming from in built speakers.

Hello. Please re-install your audio driver. Go to the Inspiron model selection page and locate your model and click on it. When you get to your model's page, select your operating system in the box, then expand the Audio category to get your audio driver.

if the speakers still do not work after re-installing the audio driver, run the following test which will help determine if the speakers might be disconnected. If you run this test and you do hear the beeps or tones, the speakers are NOT disconnected.

Run the PSA or ePSA tests:
1. Re-start the computer.
2. Immediately at the Dell logo screen, start tapping the key until the One Time Boot menu appears (if the computer boots to Windows turn the computer off and try again).
3. At the One Time Boot menu, press the key to highlight Diagnostics, then press the key.

Look for a "Perform Quick Audio Check" button on the bottom right side of the ePSA main menu screen. Press the button and check if you can hear the beep tones from the speakers.

If you do not have the "Perform Quick Audio Check" button then do this. Start the PSA tests and when it performs the color test it will ask you if you see the color bars on the screen. Deliberately fail the test by answering no (press the "n" key) instead of yes. When you do that the PSA test will emit a series of beeps. Listen for the beeps.

If you don't hear the beep tones that means that the speakers have become disconnected or have failed.

If you do hear the tones that means that the speakers are working and are connected. If you have re-installed the audio driver then probably the reason that audio is not coming through speakers is that the sensing circuitry in the headphone jack has failed. When that happens it prevents audio from being switched from the jack to the speakers. When that happens then the headphone jack needs replacing.

If you need more help please include the full model name of your laptop and the name of your operating system.

1 Message

May 10th, 2015 00:00

sir my laptop is insp 3521 series

and the message is no speakers or headphone is plugged in

psa test have some beeps and audio test the tone are coming but very slow and not like the other dell laptop which has no sound problem

even the headphone is not detected or working

can u pls help me

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

May 10th, 2015 19:00

and the message is no speakers or headphone is plugged in

psa test have some beeps and audio test the tone are coming but very slow and not like the other dell laptop which has no sound problem

Hello. It could be that the audio hardware on the motherboard (the codec) has failed. My advice is this: perform a system recovery (reset the laptop to the original factory configuration) and test the audio immediately after. If still no audio then the codec has failed.

You can still have audio by getting an  inexpensive usb audio jack. It will contained its own codec.

3 Posts

May 13th, 2015 07:00

Sir,

thanks for your valuable suggestions.

Sir can  you further tell even after window update, reinstalling driver, no options for speakers is coming, and the only message that no speaker or headphone are plugged in. can you as per your experience and knowledge tell that

This case may be of speaker damage

or other hardware issue

or any software issue.

3 Posts

May 14th, 2015 07:00

Dear Sir,

thanks for your valuable suggestions

regards.

karmveer singh

1 Message

July 14th, 2017 22:00

Diagnose speakers:
(1) Shut down computer.
(2) Press F12 at startup.
(3) Go to Diagnostics.
(4) Skip current tests and click on arrow icon.
(5) Look for Speakers and test them.

If speakers does not produce beep, then it is probably hardware problem.
If speakers does produce beep, then follow these steps :

If Drivers are correct and device test in Diagnostics produces beep from speaker(speakers are working): Maybe speakers have been put in a state that Windows or Linux cannot recognize it.

(1) Shut down the computer.

(2) Boot into BIOS mode by pressing F2 at startup.

(3) Look for Audio option at left pane.

(4) Disable Audio Controller and save changes.

(5) Boot into Windows.

(6) Click on Speakers button and let troubleshooter run.

(7) Again shutdown computer and boot into BIOS mode.

(8) Enable Audio Controller and save changes.

(9) Boot into Windows.

(10) If speakers does not show, then troubleshoot by clicking on speaker icon in tray.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

July 15th, 2017 08:00

(5) Look for Speakers and test them.

Hello. I'm curious to know which model Dell laptop you have, because most model don't have a "Speakers" test in the ePSA diagnostics. They have a Quick Audio Check, which produces a series of octave tones.

No Events found!