Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

X

June 1st, 2017 02:00

Initial booting takes a lot of time on Dell Inspiron 15R

Hello experts,

I had replaced the stock DVD drive on the Dell Inspiron 15R with an internal HDD and the system has been working very well. 

However, after the replacement, it takes a lot of time for the computer to move past the initial Dell logo screen while the internal drive's LED is lit up. 

Quite sure that something can be changed in the BIOS to make sure that the internal drive doesn't get read when the computer boots up everytime.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time in advance.

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

June 2nd, 2017 23:00

When you added the hard drive, did you remove the DVD drive (maybe listed as hard drive now) as a boot option? You'll want to make sure only the main drive is being listed in the boot order. Let me know if this helps.

30 Posts

June 5th, 2017 07:00

Thanks for your reply, Brad.

These are the boot options:

And these are the Legacy boot options:

Should I change the boot list option from Legacy to uefi?

These are the options that were prompted for UEFI:

Anything you could think of, Brad/anyone?

30 Posts

June 8th, 2017 19:00

Based on the limited boot options above, could someone please suggest what could be done to fix the issue?

Could potentially save plenty of time waiting for the computer to boot. :(

Thank you.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 8th, 2017 19:00

Remove the added drive.  If the boot time quickens, you will have one of three choices to make:

Leave the drive out of the system and have a faster boot time,

Live with the slower boot time and the added drive, or

Try a different caddy - it may make a difference.

Dell's BIOS was not written to support that second drive, so there's nothing you can adjust there.

No Events found!