Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 20th, 2014 08:00

Inpiron 15R 5537 - Bad game performance or unability to Sleep/Hibernate?

This post is both a complaint and a call for a solution that is a real troubleshooter.

The problem is: After I've updated my notebook to Windows 8.1, I've noticed the screen wouldn't power back up from sleep. I instantly google'd for answers and I found out it would get fixed if I installed both latest Intel HD and AMD drivers. All set and done, problem was finally fixed, and everything appeared to work just fine... Until I installed Left 4 Dead 2 and tried to test it: The video performance was incredibly <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU> . I was like "Jesus, it's only L4D2 and this graphic card can't handle even the menu scren!?". So I google'd it, because a HD 8850M that doesn't run a game as old as that isn't normal. My solution was: Install generic AMD drivers. And the problem was over. Not only that, I was able to play even Battlefield 4. But then I locked the computer and wasn't able to wake it back up... again...

Long story short: I'm pissed about it and I really wan't to know: Why the <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU> did you guys put Intel HD Graphics and AMD HD Board altogether? If I have a <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU> 8850M why the hell am I going to need a <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU> Intel HD Graphics? If you guys had this brilliant idea, why aren't you able to develop a decent driver, one that enables the 8850M the high performance it can handle and put the Intel HD to handle whatever it is that it has to handle? and finally: If there is a solution to both the problems, which is it?

Thanks in advance for any help that is actually helpful.

An unsatisfied customer.

16 Posts

February 7th, 2014 15:00

Haven't tried yet, only this support forum, but I'm almost certain now that it's useless...

In an other post with the same problem, a user named heropsycho however spoken with them, and got this as a solution:

"Finally received a response to my support ticket with Dell - they are now recommending a motherboard replacement (yes, seriously).

Also, they provided no information regarding an updated Radeon 8850/8870 driver."

Funny. This is the thread if you want to check it out: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/t/19542391.aspx

3 Posts

February 7th, 2014 18:00

Well... it did! So far, it works just fine. it even runs BF4! What used to happen too was the AMD driver stop working suddenly. It hasnt so far.

16 Posts

February 7th, 2014 18:00

Update / WORKS NOW!:

What I did:

- uninstalled both video drivers

- installed both video drivers from Dell (versions A00)

- installed the generic AMD driver (version 13.9)

Now everything works; games, sleep, hibernate, etc. Seems like you just have to find the right combination until a decent driver comes out. Good luck!

16 Posts

February 8th, 2014 09:00

From Softpedia: http://drivers.softpedia.com/progDownload/AMD-Catalyst-Mobility-Graphics-Driver-139-for-Windows-7-Windows-8-64-bit-Download-292866.html

use the Softpedia Secure Download link as the External leads to AMD's site where this driver is no longer available (afaik).

1 Message

February 8th, 2014 09:00

Where did you download the generic driver from?

8 Posts

February 10th, 2014 14:00

Thanks a lot for sharing this info Gaborsz, tthat did the job! Now everything works as it should. Finally! :emotion-2:

I wouldn't have found that driver by myself (probably), as indeed it's not available from AMD. (Isn't it good practice to offer previous driver versions?)

Anyone tried the new AMD catalyst mobility 14.1?

February 24th, 2014 05:00

I tried Catalyst 14.1 and doesn't work.

In fact, the solution here really works but it is a terrible old driver. The most recent drivers don't install correctly.

I don't know who I should blame, Intel, AMD or Dell. 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 24th, 2014 06:00

Dear DaniloCodecoCarvalho,

Please check my post here

I found solution

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/p/19542884/20517310.aspx#20517310

March 8th, 2014 15:00

Hi,

I've found temporary solution for our problem. It's good to have latest drivers for both video cards, but If you want to sleep, hibernate, shutdown your laptop or use fast startup function please disable Radeon video card in Device Manager. When you resume work and you want to play some game, you can enable your Radeon.

Greets from Poland
Piotr

PS: We have to make notifications to Dell and AMD for new drivers to Radeon if we want to use video card without disabling it.

March 10th, 2014 06:00

I've followed this steps twice, and it did not work.

I bought Dell laptop after eight years of using Mac. I was fool enough to think that the difference in price is worth switching to PC. It is not! My time wasted during two weeks of trying to make this "computer" work is worth a lot more and no one is going to give it back to me.

Not to mention that not even single Dell technitian contributed to this thread.

1 Message

March 19th, 2014 04:00

Hi all,

same problem here. Catalyst 13.9 works.

The Dell Support suggested Mainboard replacement.

From my point of view this will not help, due to it's fixable with new drivers.

Does anyone have experiences concerning Mainboard replacement?

Best Regards,

Michael

1 Message

March 19th, 2014 08:00

So yeah, just bought the laptop, 17r 5737 w/ radeon 8870m and im so <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute Characters removed as per TOU>.

I can't find my best configuration, I've already installed maybe 3 different drivers for intel and amd.

Help me, what's the best configuration of drivers now?

2 Posts

May 1st, 2014 14:00

The only solution, which worked for me was to uninstall 'intel management engine interface driver'. Apparently there is something in it, which was preventing integrated (intel) and external (amd/ati) GPUs to switch.

1 Message

May 4th, 2014 16:00

Following the removal of the intel management engine driver, is your AMD card still capable of auto-switching and detecting 3-d intensive games/programs ? Any random crashes when running Windows or any other programs ?

2 Posts

May 5th, 2014 03:00

Auto-switching works really awesome now, even when I use alt+tab I am able to notice auto-switch straight away. Not a single BSOD, nor any crashes since I have uninstalled IMEI (intel management engine interface driver). You may ask how do I know that the auto-switch works, well I can see changes in fps and I am able to hear a fan going on/off.

From what I have read IMEI allows remote access to IME, therefore, you do not need it unless you would like to access your laptop remotely.

I have almost forgot to uninstall IMEI simply use your control panel >> uninstall a program. It is listed over there.

No Events found!