Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

L

52 Posts

May 30th, 2015 06:00

Inspirion 17 Keyboard (keys) difficult to see!

Love the new laptop EXCEPT the keys are sometimes very difficult to see - backlit or not. My old Studio 17 had white letters on black keys which was very easy to see. However that style has given way to a newer fashionable brushed aluminum key with white letters. Nice looking but pretty much dysfunctional under certain lighting conditions. Has anyone experienced the problem and what, if anything, can be done?

933 Posts

May 30th, 2015 08:00

I asked the same question and I was informed nothing could be done. This was Dells mistake to decide to

make the operating deck all one color, a very unwise decision. Now we have to put up with this very annoying problem.It seems to me they should replace the entire keyboard with a color that would eliminate the problem. I have two of these 17- 7000- 7737

Bob Moyer

52 Posts

May 30th, 2015 09:00

I'm way past the 21 days and can't imagine me buying an external keyboard work around for a thousand dollar new computer.  It's simply a lousy Dell design and I'll have to put up with it. Shame on Dell and shame on me for buying it!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 30th, 2015 09:00

There are still systems that ship with black keyboards -- though among 17" systems if you want Dell, you'll likely have to go to Alienware.

Within 21 days of shipment, you can return a system and re-order or request a refund.

The only other practical option is the use of an external USB keyboard.

933 Posts

May 31st, 2015 05:00

There is one way around this ,use the the keypad on the screen.not as fast but you can see what your

typing

Bob moyer

52 Posts

May 31st, 2015 08:00

I find that the more the laptop keyboard is angled upward (from a flat surface), the better the keys can be viewed. I'm presently trying out a Ergonomic Aluminium Portable Foldable Cooling X-Stand which also allows the laptop to be tilted upward a few degrees - which seems to help.

52 Posts

June 2nd, 2015 15:00

Dell makes or has made several 17 inch models with black keyboards. I used to have a Studio 17 with a white on black back lit keyboard.  What are the chances that Dell makes a compatible black keyboard that I could purchase and have installed by a third party. I'm sure it would  void the warranty but I don't care.

No Events found!