Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

13 Posts

October 22nd, 2005 12:00

Inspiron 1000 over heating

My Inspiron, which I purchased in February  05 online through Dell, gets so hot that I need to turn it off constantly to cool it down.  The fan seems to stay on constantly, or makes a "surging" sound.   I've getten burn marks on my legs from working with the laptop on my lap and have melted plastic placements that I have placed the laptop on to work at the table.
I had this same problem with a Latitute a few years ago and was told it was a typical fault of the Dell laptop.  They took it back and replaced the fan and something else.  I'd like to do the same with this one.  Please advise.

13 Posts

October 22nd, 2005 13:00

If it is flat on teh tble it seems to be blocking the vents underneith.  I am now proping it up with some folded paper on the edge to let some ait underneith. THe fan has been on for a couple hours and it is very hot.

FYI, this doesn't happen when I am on battery power, so I am concerned that there is an electrical issue, as there was with my Latitude.

334 Posts

is there any dust on the fan?

you may need to need the dust off the fan.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Notebooks are not designed to be used on the lap - if you're blocking the cooling vents with the placemats or by not using the notebook on a hard surface, that's likely the problem.

13 Posts

I've tried blowing dust out of the fan, it does no good.

13 Posts

October 22nd, 2005 14:00

yes

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 22nd, 2005 14:00

On battery, the CPU runs slower, generating less heat.

Are the rubber footpads in place on the bottom of the machine?

98 Posts

October 23rd, 2005 06:00

Had a friend buy a 1000 and he got rid of his before the warranty ran out and bought himself a 6000 series. The 1000's are very well known  for their heat dissipation issues. Too many components on the board that are located in the same area of the board.

I don't remember if this app worked on the 1000 series but give I8kfangui a go. I have a power hungry 1100 that I upgraded to a 2.6Ghz P4 and does it ever run hot, I had to replace the thermal grease with arctic silver V and blow the heatsink out with compressed air once a month. I have the I8Kfangui set to gaming when it's on my lap, I let the right hand side hang off the edge of my right leg so it can draw air in better, usually I can keep CPU temps at 40-45C. If I let the laptop go for 2-3 months without blowing the heatsink out CPU temps on idle are near 65-70C. I have also found out if you use wireless cards, not sure it affects all brands, but if you have a good/poor signal, cpu usage is near 100% keeping the laptop at a balmy 65C. Use the laptop upstairs with access point downstairs, I get 2 out of 5 bars, with 75-100% usage, go downstairs or connect to the access point upstairs, cpu usage drops to less than 5%. If you want to cool down your laptop you can try the above suggestions, or in general, make sure your cpu is never 100% for more than a few mins.

Message me if you have any questions. :)

Message Edited by Acrufox on 10-23-2005 02:37 AM

13 Posts

October 23rd, 2005 13:00

Hi, thanks for the suggestons, but 'm really not much of a "techy" and don't know what you're talking about.

I appears that it is getting terribly hot with either the A/C or the battery, I orriginally thought it was just when I used a/c.

I just don't think this should be my issue to deal with.  If the 1000 is known for this problem, then I believe Dell should take care of it.  If I end up with a fire it'll certainly be their concern then.

134 Posts

October 31st, 2005 09:00

Have you actually blown compressed air through the vents?  Or did you just try to blow air from your mouth.

This is a major issue with several laptops:
http://www.geocities.com/i5100dustproblem/

13 Posts

October 31st, 2005 10:00

I just blew on it.  I didn't want to destroy anything.  THe vent looks clean, it never looked dirty or dusty.

It's the same thing that happened to my Latitute ...they told me it was a common problem with the fan.

134 Posts

October 31st, 2005 10:00

just "blowing on it" will not remove the caked on dust from the heatsink.

As mentioned previously, go this site and read the solution:
http://www.geocities.com/i5100dustproblem/

Everything is outlined in that article.  You need to buy a can of compressed air, TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER, and blow the air through the back vents.  If you have never done this, you will surely see a cloud of dust come out.

And if this is the case, you should be okay, although at this point, it is best to then upon up the machine and manually clean the caked dust from the heatsink.

2 Posts

November 11th, 2005 15:00

It appears dell has walked away from the 1000. just try to get replacement parts. If every one had got the 3 year warranty dell would have gotten burned bad. I've fixed my overheating issues all on my own. they piece of gfoil on the processor heat sink can over heat cook away the black gunk they used as a heat sink compound .  cleaning the black gunk and removing the foil  and replacing it with silver heat sink compound fix my problems. although a cooling pad helps too. I moniter the cpu temp with speedfan 

December 5th, 2005 22:00

I have a 1000 also and it seems to be running HOT! It runs as hot as 167F on the cpu and the HDD temp is about 110F. I use speedfan to monitor the temps. I have seen the cpu as low as 85F, but only after a prolonged time on non-use. Is this normal for a laptop? This is the first laptop I have owned. I have about 2 months left on warranty so If is is bad, I want toget it fixed. I just had Dell replace the battery, it would only hold a charge for about 20 minutes. Maybe related? Thanks

1 Message

March 23rd, 2006 18:00

IMPORTANT!

The overheating issue is very serious.

I myself own an Inspiron 1000, and it has overheated a great deal in the time that I have owned it. In that time, I have gone through TWO power transformers. The first was shorted out, and it may be related to the overheatting, but I'm not sure. The second one was melted from the exessive heat coming from the computer and being conducted through the metal connector of the power cord. Another, less serious matter is the amount of battery power being used up by the cooling fan to keep up with this intense heat. I consider this to be a very dangerous flaw, and I am waiting to hear back from Dell. Apparantly this incident requires a 'Safety Capture' and I am waiting for instructions as to when and how I am supposed to mail the damaged computer to them.

If I have to pay the postage to send them a computer that was broken to begin with, I will be very annoyed indeed.

13 Posts

August 15th, 2006 14:00

what ever happened to you laptop.. I have been having severe heat issues with my Insiron 1000, but they have don nothing but tell me to blow air in it to clean it, which does not help.
No Events found!