Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

March 4th, 2016 04:00

Inspiron 11 3000 (3147) "Disable Touchpad when USB Mouse Present" disables touchpad ALL THE TIME

Dell 2-in-1 3147:

The "DELL Pointing Devices" dialog shows a "Disable Touchpad when USB Mouse Present" checkbox. If this checkbox is clear, the touchpad works properly. When this checkbox is marked, the touchpad does not work at all.

I have tried both USB and Bluetooth mice, and neither one allows the proper action: the touchpad should be enabled without a mouse, and the touchpad should be disabled with a mouse.  That's how it works on other systems.  It just doesn't work at all on this system.

I suspect there is some interaction between the touchpad and the touchscreen that is interfering with this setting.  But I have another laptop with a touchpad and a touchscreen, and the mouse detection works there (it's not a DELL).

Yes, I have toyed with the idea of deleting the DELL touchpad control application and installing a "stock" Synaptics touchpad driver.  But I don't want the DELL  "update" app to overwrite it with the DELL touchpad control app every time it sees "the wrong driver" loaded.  And I don't want to take the chance that the touchpad driver and the touchscreen driver are somehow linked together, thus disabling one when I disable the other.

Any ideas on how to get the "Disable Touchpad when USB Mouse Present" action working would be welcome.  

2 Posts

March 15th, 2016 05:00

I would love to know where to find that checkbox ... Thank you!

Dell 2-in-1 3147:

The "DELL Pointing Devices" dialog shows a "Disable Touchpad when USB Mouse Present" checkbox.

February 3rd, 2017 17:00

I know this is a very late reply. Most people have trouble finding it. I caught the option only by chance.

Windows 10

Mouse & touchpad settings --> Dell Touchpad

Click on: "Click to change DellTouchpad settings

You should be in a new window: Dell Pointing Devices.

On top you'll see two images: a touchpad and a mouse.

Click on the mouse image.

There it is! It's amazingly well hidden. Perhaps this will help someone who is searching for it.

No Events found!