Jch30
1 Copper

RE: Inspiron 11 3000 Series (3137) 8gb RAM?

I had the 4 beeps twice even with the 2GB original RAM, I still haven't install my new 8GB RAM yet.

0 Kudos
gjgardner
1 Nickel

I've been running 8GB of crucial for a couple weeks now with no problems.  Is your RAM seated properly?  I've had issues with other laptops where I didn't quite get the RAM seated all the way, sometimes there would be errors, sometimes not.

0 Kudos
grizzlyg
1 Copper

[quote user="grizzlyg"]

Been running 8GB of Crucial for the past week.  Have twice in the past few days received two series of 4 very loud beeps (assume RAM read/write error??) while in sleep mode.  Windows started up with no problem though.  Ran the Windows memory diagnostic this morning which indicated no issues, but I went in and made sure the RAM was well seated in the slot, and ran the diagnostic again. Still no issues found. Will try a different diagnostic tool if I receive the beeps again, but 8GB, plus SSD as of yesterday, running fine otherwise with much improved performance over the stock config.

I noticed that the 1.35v ram I got is actually running at 1.28v according to CPUID. Is that what yours is running at?

[/quote]

1.28v

0 Kudos
grizzlyg
1 Copper

I've been running 8GB of crucial for a couple weeks now with no problems.  Is your RAM seated properly?  I've had issues with other laptops where I didn't quite get the RAM seated all the way, sometimes there would be errors, sometimes not.

I reseated mine late last week after getting the error beeps, and nothing since, although the system hasn't been in sleep mode much either.  Will surely post an update if it happens again.

0 Kudos
C_Babar
1 Copper

Sorry if this question has been answered elsewhere, but I am having a heckuva time trying to install a SSD in place of the stock HD. I've tried the direct clone method (doesn't boot), and then the clean install of Windows 8.1 from the USB stick factory image (says that the SSD is not large enough and "needs to be at least 30GB" (SSD is 240GB). I'm stumped, and can't seem to find an answer on-line for how to do a clean install of Windows to a new SSD on this laptop. 

Anyone have a step-by-step for how to do this? Most appreciated.

0 Kudos
Jch30
1 Copper

I just installed my 8GB RAM, I can hardly notice an improvement in the speed compare to the original 2GB  with 1 or 2 browser window.

0 Kudos
gjgardner
1 Nickel

Mine was noticbly better immediatly, but then bogged down again when all the Win 8 and then Win 8.1 updates.  Those took a couple days.  After all the download updates stopped my LT is way better.  Could it be a problem with your new RAM?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
adamatboxer
1 Nickel

IEEE488, this is an awfully antagonistic response, just because you don't agree with someone.  It seems inappropriate for a discussion group.  You make it sounds like the original poster's point is ridiculous, but I agree with the main point.  Please keep it civil.

0 Kudos
kokomoto
1 Copper

I am looking to buy a new laptop, and I found this forum. As a not-too-knowledgeable user, I appreciate the complaints. It gives me an idea of the consequences of having only 2GB of RAM , and what I might have to do if I were to purchase this laptop. I am looking for a fairly inexpensive laptop to do my stuff, but would only get frustrated if it worked too slowly. As long as the language is not inappropriate, can a person not express free speech without getting pounced on? Geez.

0 Kudos
e_identity
1 Copper

Two additional potential 8GB options:

The spec for RAM listed by Dell is for DDR3L (according to wikipedia, the "L" specifies 1.35 volt as opposed to the more typical 1.5 volt) 1600 SODIMM.  Dell specifies 2GB and 4GB modules.  Dell does not specify any 8GB modules, although curious2013 reports success with the Crucial stick he lists.  Looking around, I found that the two additional 8GB sticks listed below also appear to me to meet the specs for the Dell Inspiron 11 3137.  NB:  the specs for the items listed below specify 1.35 volt but are described by the manufacturer as "DDR3," not "DDR3L."  NB:  I actually haven't tried any of these.  Finally, RAM prices have been going up, so if you haven't bought RAM recently, you may be unpleasantly surprised (I was).

This article suggests that Patriot PSD38G1600L2S (1 8GB stick, $85 at newegg) would work and it appears to meet the Dell specs:

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/5131/patriot_memory_for_ultrabook_pc3_12800_8gb_lovo_sodimm_review/...

Also the Mushkin 972038A (1 8GB stick, $80 at newegg) also appears to meet the Dell specs.

0 Kudos