visualgrey
1 Nickel

Inspiron 11 3000 Series (3137) 8gb RAM?

I'm looking to upgrade the ram on the newly released inspiron 11 3137. The laptop has one dimm slot that is also user accessible. It is currently only shipping with 2gb of ram. I realize the manual states it can support up to 4gb of ram, but has anyone tried adding a single 8gb stick?

It comes with win8 64 bit, and packs a recently released 4th gen haswell celeron. I'm thinking it may support an 8gb stick, but don't want to order without confirmation that someone has gotten it to work.

ADMIN NOTE: THIS THREAD HAS BEEN LOCKED DUE TO AGE.  IF YOU HAVE A SIMILAR QUESTION, PLEASE CREATE A SEPARATE POST.  THANKS

0 Kudos
146 Replies
Dell-Amit V
2 Iron

RE: Inspiron 11 3000 Series (3137) 8gb RAM?

Hi visualgrey,

Dell has tried and tested Inspiron 3137 system with maximum 4 GB memory.

It is shipped with 1600 MHz DDR3L memory. The system has only one memory (RAM) slot, which is accessible by removing the bottom base cover. The system supports two memory configurations:

• 2 GB
  • 4 GB

Hope this helps. Feel free to reply for any further information.

Thanks & Regards
Amit V
#iworkfordell
To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region USAIndia. For helpful Dell Support Videos, you may click Here.

visualgrey
1 Nickel

Just to update, the system does in fact work with a single 8 gb stick of ram. I used low-voltage, 1.35v stick and it was recognized immediately, no issues.

Dell-Amit V
2 Iron

Hi visualgrey,

Thank you for sharing the information. 

Thanks & Regards
Amit V
#iworkfordell
To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region USAIndia. For helpful Dell Support Videos, you may click Here.

curious2013
1 Nickel

yes - I confirm, I used a 

Crucial Single 8GB DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) Notebook Module, CT102464BF160B

and it worked fine.

Also replaced the drive with a SSD and it is really fast.

gjgardner
1 Nickel

Cool!

How do you get the back off?  I pulled the 5 screws I see, it looks like there might be two more in the middle of the case with covers on the screws, but I havn't tried prying the plastic off yet.

Also, what SSD did you end up putting in?  How did you re-install windows, with a startup disk?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
curious2013
1 Nickel

There are 2 round paper tape covering the screws in the middle of the case, just use your fingernails to remove the tape.

Then use a plastic knife to remove the back cover off by working the edges from the back as shown in the manual, really easy.

I put a PM830 samsung 512G SSD, saved c:\drivers onto a USB drive, re-installed Windows 8.1 and loaded the drivers by updating them in device manager using the usb drive:\drivers path.

It now boots in less than 5 seconds!

0 Kudos
gjgardner
1 Nickel

I just got mine yesterday, still updating...  so far I like the size, but it needs a lit keyboard (I can survive without one), but having only 2 GB on RAM makes the damn thing so slow that its almost worthless.  Dell needs to up the stock RAM to 4 GB, and make 8GB an option.  Are you listening Dell?

0 Kudos
Dell-Amit V
2 Iron

Hi gjgardner,

I thank you for sharing your feedback with us. Whether the feedback we receive is positive or negative, it remains a crucial tool for determining how we can best improve our products and services.

There are many configurations and upgrade possible on any system like processor upgrade, system board upgrade, memory upgrade, video card upgrade, audio card upgrade etc. All the configurations are not tried and tested by Dell with the system.

Few users tried 8 GB lower voltage memory which worked with the system.

Feel free to reply for any further question.

Thanks & Regards
Amit V
#iworkfordell

0 Kudos
gjgardner
1 Nickel

Forcing the end user to crack open a brand new machine, which may void the warrenty, is bad business practice.  Are you suggesting that I should  buy a new Dell, and then expect to pay more out of pocket for after-market upgrades, before I have a usuable machine?

0 Kudos