Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 13th, 2016 02:00

Inspiron 11 3147 - Wake up problem

Hello!

I bought a new Dell Inspiron 11 3147. After updating to windows 10 and BIOS afterwards i discovered a problem. When system goes to sleep - no matter if its done by inactivity, closing the device or manually it won't wake up. When i press the power button pc phisicaly turns of (i can hear it does) but the screen is blank and the only way to get it working at this point is hard off by holding the power button and turning it on again. I tried many things - reinstalling drivers (by windows update and from dell support), turning off hybrid sleep, w10 quick launch,  uninstalling some software etc.  Nothing worked. My guess is the new BIOS is broken. Does anyone have any ideas about this problem or any update dates? Thanks in advance!

1 Message

July 16th, 2016 15:00

I've had the sam issue since the supposed "upgrade" to BIOS A09.  Dell refuses to acknowledge that they created this problem.  While I've been too lazy to do it yet, I may have to revert to A07.  Others have posted elsewhere that this will cause a BSOD, but you can get to safe mode from windows repair and then boot normally

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 13th, 2016 06:00

Hi,

Thank you for writing to us!

Kindly follow the steps below :

1. Press Windows key + X on the keyboard.
  2. Click on Control panel.
  3. Type “Troubleshooting” without quotes in the Control panel search box.
  4. Click on Troubleshooting and click on View all.
  5. Click on Power troubleshooter and follow the on-screen instructions.

Also try to run the “System maintenance troubleshooter” from “Troubleshooting” lists after running “Power Troubleshooter“.

Also turn off “Fast Restart” in the power settings.

or

For the shut down and wake up issues, try disabling hibernation

Launch and elevated Command Prompt and enter the following command (there is no output)
powercfg /h off

and restart your machine.

Kindly let us if this helps.

Thanks

Robin

April 13th, 2016 06:00

Hi,

thank you for your reply. I tried all of the above except of disabling hibernation without any luck. However i did manage to solve the issue by reverting to A07 bios. For everyone reading this - be warned : doing so WILL break your operating system (it will BSOD on boot with "no boot device" error) but you can install fresh windows 10 without any problems at this point (im not aware if theres any other way to resolve this error in diffrent way). So i did all that, installed fresh drivers from dell support page and now device works perfectly fine. So i guess fresh A09 bios is to blame but i leave that to engineers to figure out for 100% ;)

If by any chance you still want to do the bios thing heres the link where you can download it :

downloads.dell.com/.../inspiron-11-3147-laptop.html

April 15th, 2016 09:00

Hi INFERNO3031,

Glad that the issue has been resolved and thank you for this update.

Please do get back to us if you have any more queries.

Regards,
DELL-Akshatha M
Social Media and Community Professional
#IWork4Dell

2 Posts

April 29th, 2016 18:00

Any news on when an updated bios will be available, which will correct this sleep problem.  My 3147 is having problems waking from sleep and I have tried everything but rolling back the bios to the previous version.  

6 Posts

June 9th, 2016 05:00

I'd love an answer to this question about an updated bios, it seems outrageous that we all need to revert to an older bios, with all the risk that entails, to fix this issue, which is more irritating than it sounds like it is. I have kids trying to use this laptop and they can never get it to wake from sleep without holding the power button and restarting it. No other computer in our household has this same issue. Wish it was important enough of an issue to Dell that they would do something about it...

1 Message

August 15th, 2016 13:00

Install A10 - same problem.

Given the use-case of this device, this is a real problem and needs to be fixed.

Windows 10 Anniversary with BIOS A10. Dell needs to fix this!

3 Posts

October 5th, 2016 15:00

i have exactly the same problem and when adding command prompt it always come with an error that it cannot be executed. I am totally fed up with Dell. my laptop  has one problem after another, now problem with waking up. there is problem with the keyboard as some keys are most of the time unresponsive unless I hit them few times really hard, one key is completely off it just fell over, I had to change a hard disk which was faulty of course all after guarantee!!!! I am fed up, planning to fix the falling key and get rid of this ***, no more Dell computers, worse than Acer and other cheap brands!!!!

3 Posts

October 10th, 2016 22:00

To Dell:

The issue has NOT been resolved.

It is absolutely clear that the issue is the BIOS update,;

I have been building and programming PCs since my first Commodore and then an XT, etc.  I am intelligent enough to know that I have eradicated every other possible source of this issue and only once I made that deduction did I come online to research and my conclusion was absolutely verified here.  It is the post-A7 bios  (A10 for me and A9 for the OP).

Please pass this on into the right channels and ensure that the issue is actually resolved.

Fix this BIOS issue.  

This has significant negative ramifications for users.  I know in my case I've now lost signifiant battery usage because I cannot allow the system to enter sleep; I've lost significant mobility because I cannot close the lid (even though Windows power settings are to not enter sleep when lid is closed); and I have already lost work because I had to force-shutdown the system after system went into sleep* mode.  (* I actually don't know what mode it's going into because when it restarts, there is no obvious indication of what has happened, such as, e.g., indication of improper shutdown).

See my previous post for more details.

Edit to add:

See here for others experiencing the same sleep/power-button issue, post-bios update:

3 Posts

October 10th, 2016 22:00

I have recently started to experience the same problem.  The only change I've recently made to this system is updating the BIOS (A10).  Interestingly, I had to update the BIOS in order to boot an external SSD I used to try out Win 10 (basically, a Windows-to-go-on-USB).  So, I didn't actually change or in any way alter the actual C: drive (or win 8.1). That is the only difference.  

But, I also went through extensive troubleshooting.  I checked and adjusted every conceivable setting that might be effecting this phenomenon, even though I am very familiar with all my Windows settings (as they were all personally fine tuned).  But, I disabled every non-essential software or driver; checked that all drivers were updated; etc.  But, here's the thing;  the power button works without any difficulty to do the initial turn-on.  Just doesn't work after the system has been turned on.  It doesn't work to put the system to sleep and if I put the system to sleep through the OS, it won't wake the system.  (I have to force shutdown and turn back on.)  Also, the laptop goes to sleep?or hibernate or shutoff--(whatever is happening) when I close the lid.  Why is that significant?  Because I have the power settings set NOT to go to sleep, but only turn off the display.  I have adjusted every conceivable setting, inlcluding USB power settings in both BIOS and the OS.  Fix it Dell.  

Dell:  You broke my laptop with your BIOS update.  Fix it.

3 Posts

November 13th, 2016 20:00

Same problem here also, as of Nov 2016.

BIOS A10.

Windows 10 w/anniversary update

Dell 3147.

Goes to sleep when lid closes.... but when opening lid... it boots up from cold start.

I only use this laptop to randomly check on things throughout the day.   I can't have it take 3 minutes

to start-up.... to check something I need for 30 secs.

As a result, it is now totally pointless to have this $400 device.  It just wastes more time than it saves

me.

3 Posts

November 13th, 2016 20:00

That bug has NOT been resolved.

Same problem here also, as of Nov 2016.

BIOS A10.

Windows 10 w/anniversary update

Dell 3147.

Goes to sleep when lid closes.... but when opening lid... it boots up from cold start.

I only use this laptop to randomly check on things throughout the day.   I can't have it take 3 minutes

to start-up.... to check something I need for 30 secs.

As a result, it is now totally pointless to have this $400 device.  It just wastes more time than it saves

me.

6 Posts

November 20th, 2016 08:00

Akshatha, I think it is pretty clear from the other responses here that this issue is not resolved. WHEN IS DELL GOING TO DO SOMETHING MEANINGFUL ABOUT THIS?

4 Posts

January 8th, 2017 23:00

Pleas fix the issue, Dell!!!

4 Posts

January 8th, 2017 23:00

I just upgraded mine to Windows 10, installed all the lasted drivers including the BIOS A10 :-( and found the same issue.

I'm a Mac user keeps couple of PC laptops/tablets on hand jus to keep up with what's going on in the PC world. I can tell the Dell is not working hard enough on keeping the customers happy.

For Mac, Apple would be all over it for such obvious issue. Yes they only have to keep up with a few models so everything can be tightly monitored. But that's maybe why Dell should focus on solving issues and do a few models really well.

Come on Dell...take care of your customers!!! Otherwise everyone will be going to Mac when they pay a little more but get well treated.

No Events found!