Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 21st, 2017 09:00

Inspiron 11 - 3168 & Win7 Pro

Recently acquired a 3168 w 4GB memory and 500GB HD.  It came loaded with Win10 but I really need to load Win7 Pro since the business application I'll be using on this unit does not yet support Win10.

I have a bootable USB with Win7 Pro Setup and an available license key, so I have tried to use that to install Win7 Pro on this unit.  

Here's the current issue:  The USB boots fine, and I can select 'Install Now', however the setup stops and asks for driver(s) not found.  It doesn't indicate which specific driver(s), it just gives the option to browse other media/locations for these so called missing drivers.  The browse option shows the bootable USB and the 500GB HD so I know that setup found the correct drivers for the HD where I want to install Win7.

If I'm not mistaken, there was a time when these units were shipped with win7??  If so, is there a Win7 Pro image available for download?  

I have used DISM and added a ton of Win7 driver packages to the setup image on the USB, but apparently there are still 1 or more drivers not found for this unit and setup won't continue without them.  How do I identify exactly which driver is holding up the install/setup?

Any guidance here would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance for any help here!!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 21st, 2017 14:00

This is a Braswell system -- you do need to prepare a custom Windows 7 install media set.  See below (though it looks like WIndows 7 is completely unsupported by Dell on this model  -- there's no image listed for it).

www.dell.com/.../dell-systems-with-the-intel-skylake-or-braswell-chipset-cannot-boot-to-dell-windows-7-media-due-to-no-usb-20

5 Posts

April 26th, 2017 14:00

Thanks for the response and the link... it was useful.  I had previously created custom install media and added the USB 3.0 drivers to boot.wim, setup.wim, and install.wim, but apparently something was still amiss.  So, I went back and started from scratch, rebuilt the various wim files and I also incorporated the Win7 rollup pkgs from Microsoft along with the Win7 drivers for the Dell 3162.  Once completed, the new bootable USB worked perfectly.  Win7Pro is installed and working fine with full touch-screen capability.  

No Events found!