Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 13th, 2015 15:00

Inspiron 11-Windows 10 November update causes Blank Screen

Everything worked fine with Windows 10 July upgrade from 8.1.  Then Windows 10 Update 1511 in November causes hang with blank screen.  After trying everything I could think of I touched the screen and Windows continued to start normally.  I updated the BIOS,  I reinstalled Windows 8.1 then installed Windows 10 July build and everything works fine.  November update automatically installs and the problem comes back.  I turned off the fast boot feature, and reverted to the old drivers.  No change.  Problems is still there.  I have no USB devices and no software/apps installed at this time.  Dell support spent a bunch of time with me on the phone and tried everything and NO success.  Problems is still there.

3 Posts

December 15th, 2015 08:00

This sounds like the same problem I had several weeks back, when I upgraded my Dell 3148 from the original Windows 10 (build 10240) to Windows 10 1511 (build 10586).  I lost almost a whole day trying to figure out what happened.  Here's what I found...:

My 3148 worked wonderfully with Windows 8.1 - everything was fine.  When I upgraded to Windows 10 build 10240 back in August, it worked great as well.  When I upgraded to Windows 10 build 10586 in November, the system would hang on boot, with a black screen.

In my case, I determined that the cause of the hang is the Synaptics touchpad.  If you uninstall the touchpad driver (falling back to the default Windows mouse driver for the touchpad), then the laptop boots fine.  But you lose gestures, acceleration, etc. with the touchpad, which was really annoying.

I tried backing out the Synaptics driver to an earlier version (didn't help), I tried backing out the Intel I2C driver to an earlier version (didn't help either).  I re-imaged the laptop using the recovery DVDs, then upgraded to Windows 10 build 10586, then backed out all the Intel system drivers and the Synaptics driver to the original (working) Windows 8.1 versions, and it didn't help either.

I tried all the new Windows 10 drivers on the Dell 3148 support site, and it didn't help - the laptop just hangs on boot.

So basically Windows 10 TH2 build 10586 will not work on the Dell 3148 at this point in time.

In the end I gave up and re-imaged back to Windows 8.1 again, and disabled all the Windows 10 forced upgrade reminders that Microsoft pushes (using http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html which works great).

I'm hoping that Dell (and/or Microsoft) fixes this serious compatibility issue, because I would really like to use Windows 10, but it basically doesn't work anymore.  At present I'm back on Windows 8.1 and the laptop works great once again.

I hope this helps...and Dell if you are reading this, please have someone look at this...!! 

3 Posts

January 11th, 2016 08:00

I installed the new BIOS A09 (15 Dec 2015) and the new Dell-Synaptics touch-pad driver (8 Jan 2016).  Everything seems to be working now.

3 Posts

December 15th, 2015 13:00

Thank you FLF424.  I so much appreciate your help.  You are absolutely correct.  The Synaptics driver causes the problem.  I removed it and Windows 10 Build 10586  boots fine.  I was going crazy trying to change drivers starting with the Video drivers.  Dell customer support has spent many hours with me with no success.

Everything worked fine in Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 build 10240.  When Windows automatically updated to build 10586, the November update, I had the problem.  I reverted back to build 10240 and again everything worked fine.  So, I knew something happened after the November update.

Your post was a great help.  At least I know where I stand.  Other than this problem I am very happy with my 3147.

3 Posts

December 15th, 2015 16:00

Awesome, glad I could help in some way!  There is clearly an issue with driver compatibility and the laptop hardware...I just hope at some point Dell updates the Windows 10 drivers to work with this new release of Windows 10 (!!).

1 Message

December 28th, 2015 20:00

Also had the same issue with the 3148 with Win 10 update -that display would now black screen and hang.  If I were to do a F8 safe mode boot it would  go right past where it would hang but seemed strange it didn't actually go into safe mode.  Then discovered when it was booted and showed the  black screen,  could touch tap the display and it was no longer hung on the black screen.

3 Posts

January 11th, 2016 20:00

WK4779 - thank you so much for the heads-up regarding this!  I just upgraded to the new BIOS and I installed Windows 10 10586 fresh (wiping all partitions and my Windows 8.1 install), and with the new Dell Synaptics driver it indeed works great now!

After a fresh installation the only other thing I did was install the latest Dell Windows 10 Intel chipset driver, and I installed the old Intel ME interface driver (for Windows 8.1).  When I used the Dell Windows 10 ME interface driver with the original Windows 10 10240, my battery would drain overnight.  Switching to the older Windows 8.1 ME driver for the 3148 fixed this issue for me.  (Having been burned by this previously I'm wary of trying the newer ME drivers...)

Thanks again!

No Events found!