Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

B

February 11th, 2004 21:00

Inspiron 1100 - USB and Audio problems

Hello, I recently purchased an Inspiron 1100 notebook, P4, 512 MB Memory, and so on.  My first problem is related to the audio.  Whenever I place the notebook in stand by or hibernate, once i resume its state from the previsously mentioned mode, the ability to hear any sound at all disappears.  This happens all the time, not matter what program is running, for example, listening to music or watching a movie..

The second problem is related to my usb port.  For the most part, it works whenever I attach a mouse to it.  However, whenever I plug my usb key(Dell 64MB USB key)into the port, it recognizes that a drive is attached, however, the drive is not visible in the "My Computer" window.  I seem my other drives (C: and the dvd drive), but the removal drive is not there.  I know that it recognizes the usb drive because the "Unplug Hardware icon appears in the bottom right tray.

Does anyone know what could be wrong? 

617 Posts

February 12th, 2004 15:00

I dont really have a solution for your first problem. Only thing I can think of is change the Power Options setting to anything except max battery. For your second problem, here's the solution:

Microsoft identifies the problem under article number Q297694. There are no plans to change the operating system to address this issue. As a workaround, right-click My Computer and select "Manage> Disk Management," then reassign the Memory Key (listed as a removable storage device) to another available drive letter. When the USB Memory Key is detected by the operating system the device is assigned a drive letter as the next logical drive after all other physical drives in the system. For example, if the system is configured with 2 hard drives, 2 optical drives, and a USB Memory key the default configuration under windows XP will likely be:

C:> = physical hard drive 1

D:> = physical hard drive 2

E:> = physical optical drive 1

F:> = physical optical drive 2

G:> = USB Memory Key

The Memory Key is not assigned a drive letter when the next logical drive, after the physical drives, is mapped to a network drive. So if, the next available drive letter after the physical drives is assigned to the network drive the USB Memory Key will not be assigned the drive under My Computer or Windows Explorer.

No Events found!