Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

B

November 1st, 2005 19:00

Inspiron 1100 not full screen on boot or command dos

My 1100 notebook is currently running on 1024x768 (True Color) resolution (DPI = Normal size (96 DPI)).  Under this resolution, the Windows environment occupies the entire LCD screen, as expected.  But when running command prompt in FULL SCREEN, command line only occupies a portion of the LCD.  A black border is enclosing it.  As if the resolution was reduced.  It seems to act the same way when the resolution is reduced in the Display settings.  Any idea why and how to make it occupy the entire screen? I am also observing the same thing when going into the BIOS setup and when the laptop boots.  I have tried updating the bios, video settings, drivers, and also hitting fn+f7 but nothing seems to work.  I hope there is a way to solve this.  Please help you out.

BIOS version: A32
Display adapter ver: 6.14.10.4342

November 1st, 2005 21:00

What video card do you have? I believe that the 1100 only came with an integrated Intel card that wasn't capable of scaling an image to fit the screen, so I think you're asking your notebook to do something that it can't do, unfortunately. A more advanced video card would be capable of expanding the image, but the 1100 is a budget model without this capability.

November 1st, 2005 22:00

I forgot to add a few things, the video card is the integrated intel that came with the notebook, however, out-of-factory the dos program (cmd etc) ran in full screen and shows up fine. it was only when the computer got wiped off and reloaded the winXP OS from the dell CD and all the drivers it came with. Thats when I noticed that the dos program didnt show up full screen and was black boxed in

November 2nd, 2005 13:00

Hmm... well, when you reinstalled XP, did you install all of the drivers, including the chipset and video drivers?

November 2nd, 2005 22:00

yes, all drivers are uptodate

No Events found!