Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 17th, 2013 19:00

Inspiron 1121 Continuously Beeps on Startup

When turning on the computer,  I press the start button and I get the black screen with the words "Starting Windows" in the middle of the screen. As soon as the "Starting Windows" appears, the computer begins to beep continuously with short but fast-paced beeps. The beeping continues until the colored Windows Logo appears above the white words "Starting Windows" and then the beeping stops. The computer completes its start up and seems to operate normally. I did not time the beeping but I counted about 270 beeps. None of the keyboard keys seem to be stuck. I did remove and replace the battery which seemed to fix the problem on the very next start-up but when I shut the computer down and started it up the second time the beeping problem returned. Help Please. 

Richard

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 17th, 2013 19:00

Hi,

Welcome to the community

Have you tried to reseat devices like Memory, Hard drive and Optical drive? If not, please do so and try again.

If same thing happens, try to isolate issue by turning on or booting up without these devices. For example, remove the hard drive first and try to start without the hard drive on the computer. See what will happen, and see if beeping comes out. Then after that, do it without the optical drive, then memory. Just to rule out things.

Let me know of the results. Regards,

April 19th, 2013 14:00

Elijah,

Thanks, I guess it was a stuck key after all. I did not have to open up the computer to try your second suggestion (yet). On my last start-up, while waiting for the beeping to stop, I decided to press every key on the keyboard. As I pressed  last 3 keys pressed, ESC, F1, and F2, the beeping stopped before the windows logo appeared. Sense then I have started the computer 3 times with no beeping - Thank You.

Richard

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 20th, 2013 21:00

Oh Great! Post back here in our community if there's any other inquiry. Thanks!

No Events found!