Highlighted
8 Krypton

Inspiron 1150 LCD Replacement

I want to install a newer glossy LCD into my 1150, for photography work.  I have Vista Home Premium so I use those included drivers.

What LCD is compatible, and has high resolution?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
8 Xenon

Re: Inspiron 1150 LCD Replacement

None.  The 1150 never shipped with any glossy screens, and the BIOS won't support any.

If you want a glossy panel, it'll have to be external.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

I don't think the BIOS knows the difference between a matte and glossy LCD.  The only real issue might be the resolution, but the intel chip does support higher resolutions and looks like it may support 1400 x 1050...

A few websites list glossy's as compatible.  For example:

http://www.etech4sale.com/407009/generic-brand-new-14.1-xga.html

Or what about 1400x1050 LCD's?  Even if matte..  The QD14FL07 looks compatible and is used on other Dells with the same intel integrated graphics chip.  I know with my current driver I can atleast do 1440x900 on a VGA display, so the driver can handle high odd resolutions..

0 Kudos
8 Xenon

Bear in mind that notebook LCDs are not universally interchangeable by size, specification or manufacturer - the BIOS in the notebook is coded to work with the screens that the manufacturer ships with the systems.  Using an unknown panel can result in all sorts of issued- split screens, half-display, failure to light up correctly, etc.  Glossy screens did not exist when this model was designed - so none of them are likely to work.  Unless you buy a panel known to be one of the models shipped with this system,  you are taking a BIG chance.  As for having been used on "other Dells", be advised that Dell, like everyone else, does not make notebook computers - they are built for Dell by a small pool of vendors.  Dell has used Quanta, Compal (which built the 1150), Samsung, Wistron and others - what works with one Dell may not work with another.  The 1100, 1150, 5100, 5150 and 5160 are all Compal-designed and built systems and can have their LCDs interchanged.  Contemporary (of the 1150) Latitude models were Quanta-designed and built and the LCDs won't interchange.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

That I can understand, but glossy or not, electically they can be the same.  The matte and glossy thing is the film on the screen itself.

I work in desktop repair and work in the laptop repair building, where dell repair also goes on.  I might snatch a panel a little later and try one and see how it runs.  From what I've been told here, the BIOS doesn't care about the material used for the panel, only the resolution, as they now use a fairly standard LVDS signalling system.

0 Kudos
8 Xenon

However, there were no glossy panels when this system was built - it is fairly old - and while newer panels may be more standardized, you're talking about a system that is 7-8 years old.  Good luck!

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Just tried a couple LCD's here.

It worked with both glossy and matte 1024x768 screens.  Upon using a 1400x1050 screen, it showed POST, got into Vista, Vista did NOT show the propper resolution, but upon hacking the driver INF file and manually adding the string, it worked.

0 Kudos