Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

November 17th, 2017 13:00

Inspiron 13 2 in 1 7373 512gb ssd Nvme or Sata?

Does the new Inspiron 13 7000 2 in 1 7373 w 8th gen i7, 16gb, and 512 gb ship with a nvme drive?

The features section on the splash page page states the 512 ssd is nvme and the 256 is sata.

Sales says all 7373s are being shipped with sata and insists splash page is wrong

I have one on order and need to know if it will ship with a nvme drive or not

Its a deal breaker and I would like to avoid the return process over false advertising

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 18th, 2017 04:00

The specs page for that model:

PCIe Gen 3 x4 up to 32 Gbps

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

November 18th, 2017 07:00

Someone from Dell may have a better answer, but on the three newer systems I have, the NVMe drive was set to run on the SATA controller.  So, the statement that the NVMe drive is functioning as SATA is accurate.

The M.2 port will run either SATA or PCIe depending on the setting of the SATA controller.  RAID enables the slot to be SATA and AHCI or Disabled allows it to act as PCIe.

2 Posts

November 18th, 2017 12:00

I understand the controller setup may be sata and it is changeable.

My concern is if they will ship an actual nvme drive.

On the phone dell implied that since the standard controller setup was sata, they had phased out the nvme and were using sata drives in all the 7373 configs.

December 18th, 2017 00:00

so is there any answer to this? i received a sata hard drive. i thought i was getting a pcie. but they changed the splash screen to just say ssd hard drive instead of pcie

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 18th, 2017 03:00

That almost certainly means you'll get a SATA drive if you order the system.  It's one of the reasons that the system is less expensive than the XPS model.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

December 18th, 2017 12:00

I am not sure what you are looking at which makes you say you got a SATA drive.

That system does support both SATA and PCIe in the M.2 slot..  I don't know about that system but most of the ones which were advertised to have a PCIe drives did have such a drive, but the drive was set to function using the SATA controller...

If you look in the Device Manger and check your drive, it may give a model number you could check.

No Events found!