Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 8th, 2017 15:00

Inspiron 13 5000 series - Audio crackling noise (Instructions for switching from Realtek to Windows native driver)

Hello,

I have been having a problem with my audio output from both the headphones and the speakers on my Windows 10 pc. I read a post from Jimbo (in think) where he listed some solutions to a lot of recent problems. He suggested switching my driver from the Realtek audio driver to the Windows native driver. 

I may need help to do that. I was going to ask if someone would post instruction for how to do this. 

Thanks,

-Lindsay

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 8th, 2017 20:00

Hello.

1. Open the Device Manager.
2. Expand the "Sound, Video & Game Controllers" section.
3. Right click on "Realtek High Definition Audio" and select to uninstall.
4. Put a check mark in the option to delete the driver software, and then ok.
5. Restart the laptop and go back to the Device Manager and check again for a Realtek driver. Keep uninstalling & restarting until Realtek High Definition Audio no longer appears under Sound...Controllers.

Windows will have installed its native driver when it could not find the Realtek files during the re-start. Sometimes it takes more than one attempt for this process to happen, because sometimes there are files for additional versions of the Realtek driver on the hard drive and they have to be removed one version at a time.

3 Posts

September 8th, 2017 21:00

Thanks Jim! That worked, my audio sounds great! (and sorry I messed up your name, I couldn't go back and see it when I was starting the thread.)

No Events found!