Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

December 22nd, 2016 16:00

Inspiron 13 5368 2-in-1 High Definition Audio Device in Device Manager - no available driver

The AUDIO FADE PROBLEM is an issue with this laptop and I am wondering if it is related to the above.

I have upgraded to the latest BIOS and drivers using the Dell Product Support pages.

Every other day I have to reinstall the Realtek Audio Device to get audio from streaming media.

The current Driver Version is 6.0.1.7908 from Realtek Semiconductor Corp. Date 12/08/2016 which is what it defaults to upon reinstall.

I suspect that for whatever reason Dell has not yet come up with a fix. Has it something to do with the fact that although I bought the laptop new, it had been upgraded from Windows 8 to 10? (A fact that I only discovered later)

4 Posts

December 28th, 2016 12:00

I isolated my problem and maybe you guys can try it and see if it helps. My solution is NOT a fix and shouldn't happen but it works.

I found that when I mute my sound and close the lid, sound still works if I reopen it within say....an hour. But if I mute and close lid for an hour or more, I have no sound. So my fix is to un mute the sound then close lid. So far this has worked 100% of the time.

I also noticed that within Dell's support app, I have an exclamation point in red on every day this has happened stating the cause was an "app crash" referring to Realtek drivers and Maxxaudio. Not sure if it's some sort of conflict but it needs addressed.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

December 28th, 2016 13:00

Something else you might check is to open the Voice Recorder to see if it effects the sound.  

I was having another situation with a loud buzz coming from powered external speakers and opening the voice recorder stopped the noise while it was open.  Possibly related to a combined audio port..

28 Posts

December 28th, 2016 13:00

@Saltgrass

I had the same loss of audio in the Mixer Speaker/Headphones graphic.

The Dell "SupportAssist" program is downloadable from the Dell Support site. It asks one to register and has model and warranty information. A large number of system diagnostics are available and whilst no issues were identified the audio mysteriously started working again.  

I'll try your suggestion of keeping the Volume Level less than 35% and see how it goes...

28 Posts

December 29th, 2016 07:00

The Dell SupportAssist program lists this driver as Urgent.

www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails

Intel Management Engine Interface Driver

This package provides Intel Management Engine Interface Driver and is supported on Inspiron 5368/5568/7368/7569/7778 and Latitude 3379 runni...

Will see if it makes any difference and get back...

28 Posts

December 29th, 2016 14:00

@Saltgrass, No Voice Recorder app installed.

Fading issue has appeared again, I right clicked the taskbar speaker icon, fiddled with "Playback device" settings and after "Restore Defaults" the audio is now working properly again...

Windows 10 or drivers, whose bug is it?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

December 29th, 2016 15:00

So, it exhibits the problem at the lower volumes?  I have only seen mine do it once and that was with the latest Dell driver for my system..

The Voice Recorder is a default app in Win 10.  It should be in the App listing.

If you ever get it pinned down, let us know since I can test if my system isn't doing it now.

28 Posts

January 2nd, 2017 07:00

I haven't seen the fading issue now for about 3 days but another 'bug' has appeared.

The slider control (on the task bar) has no effect, thankfully the video clip sliders are still working.

This just highlights how flaky the entire audio system is: (hardware, windows and drivers).

28 Posts

January 8th, 2017 07:00

Sound gone again! Had to uninstall sound device (and delete driver), reboot and reboot again.

28 Posts

January 16th, 2017 11:00

The Sound is still an issue and I was having difficulty getting it to work again so I decided to call Dell Technical Support on the UK freephone number +44 0800-028-2660.

This took me to Hardware Support where I was informed that the standard warranty does NOT cover software, it only covers hardware. Software support has to be paid for and can be set up by taking out a 'Premium' support package starting at around £60 for one year.

Note this:

The support staff had asked if the problem only occurred with on-line videos. I played a downloaded video and the sound worked perfectly. When I went back to an on-line video the sound worked there too!

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 20th, 2017 16:00

If you check the properties for the device in Device Manager, there is an Events tab.  It may give you a clue if or when the prior driver is experiencing a problem.  

Make sure and check the scroll bar to see all the entries.  If you find one you can highlight it and read a description.

28 Posts

January 20th, 2017 16:00

Is there a consistent method to get the sound working again after each time it falls over?

Uninstalling devices, reinstalling drivers etc does not always initiate the (temporary) fix.

28 Posts

January 22nd, 2017 11:00

@Saltgrass

I didn't find anything unusual in the events log.

Realtek recommend  running the Compatibility Trouble Shooter on the audio driver. (DELLMUP.exe). This is contained in the self extracting Dell file (Audio_Driver_VR8Y0_WN32_6.0.1.7908_A03.exe).

The trouble shooter determined that the correct compatibility setting is Windows 8. This is not surprising because the product I have was is a Windows 8 computer with a Windows 10 update.

Will see how this goes (fingers crossed).

28 Posts

January 23rd, 2017 14:00

That wasn't a success either, worked for a while then faded.

Trying an older driver found here

www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails

Again the 'Compatibility' setting was determined to be Windows 8.

Working now, but for how long?

PS Does anyone from Dell ever look at this forum?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 24th, 2017 05:00

PS Does anyone from Dell ever look at this forum?

It's a moderated forum, so yes, there are a very small handful of moderators looking at it, plus their Rockstar helpers. But if you mean do Dell technical personnel sift through the posts for nuggets of wisdom, or to compile a census of product failure, then no.

28 Posts

January 24th, 2017 19:00

Thanks jimco, trying this driver

www.techspot.com/.../

No Events found!