fogger00
1 Copper

RE: Inspiron 13 7000 (7347) Touch screen problem

Jump to solution

Add me to the list. I think it is a touchscreen hardware issue because I am able to re-create the problem by pressing a bit on the backside of the screen or just moving the screen. As others have also said, when the ghost touch happens, just flex the screen a bit to make it stop. I'm very disappointed because it seems like a very nice laptop/tablet when it works normally. Guess I am returning this for a refund. Disabling the touchscreen is a partial solution but it defeats the purpose of getting a tablet laptop.

orly_andico
1 Copper

Jump to solution

If any of you folks are successful in doing a return, would appreciate if you get back and describe the experience with Dell.

I'm on the fence about it because I can tolerate the problem - for now - by being very careful about not touching the screen, and flexing it if the ghost touch returns.

But it's obvious this is a hardware issue, maybe a ribbon cable getting flexed. So it will get worse over time for sure..

Now I'm on the fence because there aren't any notebooks in this price range with the specs that I want - except maybe the new Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro.  And by specs I mean the combination of HD (or higher) IPS screen, backlit keyboard, weight, and price.  Plus the hassle of dealing with Dell for the refund, reinstalling all my software, etc. etc.

Before I learned of this touch screen issue, about the only thing about the Dell Inspiron 13 7000 that I didn't like was the comparatively miserable battery life.

But this obvious flaw obviously means it would never be on my short list.

Redstingray
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Is this issue on the 1920x1080 screen also or only the standard lower resolution model??

0 Kudos
saknis
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Mine is on the 1920 by 1080 touch screen.

max45uk
1 Copper

Jump to solution

RECEIVED MY LAPTOP BACK FROM REPAIR TODAY

REALLY FAST SERVICE!

In fact they probably didn't have much time to look at it apart from reinstall Windows 8!

Imagine the anticipation of opening the laptop and switching on........ only to find it has the EXACT SAME PROBLEM

AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!

So I telephoned technical support and went Thermonuclear on them!

Result is that a Dell Engineer is calling to replace the whole screen tomorrow.

I had demanded a refund as have reported this issue since shortly after receiving the new laptop. They avoided the easy way out of giving a refund in favour of the surely more costly option of sending an engineer.

How much is that going to cost them in labour and parts etc? 

I will report back after the engineers visit tomorrow.

Really not liking Dell at the moment.

Good luck to all of you having the same problem.

PS Apple would instantly replace a laptop in these situations as they value Customer happiness.

Highlighted
Kedmun
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Add another to the list...

Been having the exact same issue since I got the 13 7000 series laptop. I have the i5 / 8gb RAM version, full HD screen.

Have reported this to Dell recently (as well as a slight defect in the bezel surrounding the touchpad) - they tried going through the calibration process, but to no avail. I have also tried looking at drivers but everything looks up to date.

As mentioned it definitely feels like a hardware issue - is the back of the screen to flexible? It feels like it is and when moving the screen forward/backward it causes this issue. This ruins the experience of having the touch screen - I've had gaming sessions crash because of it, random pages opened while browsing, infuriating.

This feels like they should recall this laptop and refund customers?

Such a shame because it's a great looking laptop that I was very excited to buy - first new laptop in maybe 8 years. Not terribly happy...

max45uk
1 Copper

Jump to solution

UPDATE

Engineer cancelled as they apparently have a shortage of replacement screens (probably due to high demand for replacements).

Will now be 6 - 7 days before new replacement parts are in.

0 Kudos
ardnstiff1
1 Copper

Jump to solution

After doing research into this issue  it would appear that this is a common problem with these laptops which Dell have no answer to. I purchased my refurbished 17 7000 in May 2014 and by August the screen completely went dead and needed to be replaced. Last week an engineer came to replace the battery  and motherboard (second time this has had to be done) and since that repair I have no touch capabilities on the screen. I have looked at the service history of my laptop and  it would appear that the original owner of my laptop returned the computer for exactly the same reason  way back in Feb after the LCD Cover Assembly, FHD, LG, TCH, 7737 was replaced in December  2013 and again in January 2014. Due to the poor service history of my laptop Dell has asked me to return it to them so they can  run a full diagnostic on the  system and was told I would  have to wait 3 to 10 working days for them to  return or  replace  my system. Very frustrating

Dell  need  to consider  changing their suppliers of these screens and recall the faulty  systems that they have already shipped.

EDIT: Laptop was returned today from the  Dell Collect and Repair Service. It had been with them since the 19th November. 2014. .The repair service sheet claims that they replaced the keyboard, Optical drive and yes the LCD display. The hard drive and the OS I had asked Dell not to touch as I have replaced my hard drive with a Samsung SSD and did not have the time to make a back up of the system prior to returning it for repair. I was so excited today and was tracking the progress of the delivery on line like the sad pr*ck I am!

I can't express how peed off I was to switch on the system only to find that touch functionality still is not working with my screen even though Dell has alleged my old screen with this "new" non working replacement

Like you MAX45UK, I hit the roof and went to town with tech support today - language was used  that can not be repeated in a respectable forum like this! Dell have agreed to come out to me tomorrow to change the LCD and also the motherboard again!.

I suspect in my case that it is the motherboard which might be at fault as it was after a change of motherboard early last month that I lost the touch functionality of my screen. I am absolutely sure it is unlikely to be a software issue as I have deliberately removed my main hard drive and replaced it with another test drive and then reinstalled the OS 3 times on the test drive, This included reinstalling all the drivers from the Dell Support site for my Inspiron. Still my touch screen does not appear in device manager under Human Interface Device, and system properties continues to state that I have "no pen or touch input is available for this display"

I have made it clear to Dell today that the engineer they send tomorrow will not leave my property until my system has been thoroughly tested in my home and  if my laptop is still not working after this latest round of repairs then they must ship me

0 Kudos
ardnstiff1
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Continued from previous post: -

me a brand new system given the service history of this system!

I have truly lost all confidence in Dell Technical Support and customer services, Together we have spent several hours going through the on board diagnostic tests on the system and remote access to download and install chipset, graphics and touch pad drivers all which have failed to resolve the problem. I am beginning to feel that tech support have a check list response to problem resolutions and never check to see what they have already advised as I always seem to be told to try the same solutions over and over.

To any one from Dell who might be monitoring these forums. Tomorrow will be your LAST chance to resolve this problem for me or I will be expecting a new WORKING replacement or upgrade!!!!

It's bad enough having to deal with the faulty product but the poor customer service your customers are receiving over this issue borders on being blatantly disrespectful and must cease!

emoticon.Angry.title emoticon.Angry.title

0 Kudos
Kedmun
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Had Dell contact me and ask me to do the following;

1."Press Windows" key +"C" to select the search option

2.In the search box type "Device Manager" and click on it.

3.Select the "Human Interface Devices", in that right click on " HID-compliant touch screen" and select"Uninstall"

4.It will display the warning message "you are about to uninstall this device from your system" click ok

5.Now restart your computer and check the fucntionality of the touch screen.

This actually seems to have helped - only had some time last night to test it, but there weren't any ghost inputs when moving the screen. I think in doing this it has reverted the touch screen driver back to a much earlier release. Whether this will auto update and cause the issue again I'm unsure.

Will continue to use laptop and see if it comes back...fingers crossed...

Does this help anyone else?