Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 17th, 2014 00:00

Inspiron 13 7000 (7347) Touch screen problem

I have a one-month old Inspiron 13 7000 which has seen very little use, because of the problem which will become self-evident.

Very early on (when the laptop was 3 days old) I noticed that it would do "ghost touching" on the screen.  These ghost touches were always along a vertical column about 2/3 of the way to the right of the screen. As can be expected, these ghost touches would wreak havoc with whatever I was doing.

The ghost touches would go away after some time.

Other times there would be a single ghost touch that would remain pressed continuously.

I ran the Dell hardware diagnostics and the first time I did, it reported touch screen miscalibration.  It then prompted me to clear all the cells (all 405 of them) after which the touch screen worked without incident for several hours.

Then the ghost touching came back.  This time when I tried to clear the cells (via the n-trig tool that the Dell diagnostics fires up) I found that the entire right side of the screen (past the ghost touch column) would no longer respond to touch.  So I was unable to clear the cells.

Later on the touch screen "fixed itself" again - except, the ghost column is not responsive to touch anymore (but the screen to the left and right of the ghost column do respond).

To say that I am peeved that a $1200 laptop has such a severe flaw is understating things, to put it mildly. "I should have gotten the Mac Pro Retina" is a thought that has run through my mind many times these past couple weeks.

I have also de-installed and re-installed the touch screen drivers, etc.  The machine is fully up to date as far as I can tell (I installed all the Dell software, self-update, etc. etc. etc.)

I took some screen shots and videos of the ghost touch in action, to substantiate what I've seen.

This is not a Windows driver problem - the ghost touch also happens when running the BIOS diagnostics.

5 Posts

December 2nd, 2014 06:00

UPDATE

Engineer cancelled as they apparently have a shortage of replacement screens (probably due to high demand for replacements).

Will now be 6 - 7 days before new replacement parts are in.

9 Posts

December 2nd, 2014 12:00

Continued from previous post: -

me a brand new system given the service history of this system!

I have truly lost all confidence in Dell Technical Support and customer services, Together we have spent several hours going through the on board diagnostic tests on the system and remote access to download and install chipset, graphics and touch pad drivers all which have failed to resolve the problem. I am beginning to feel that tech support have a check list response to problem resolutions and never check to see what they have already advised as I always seem to be told to try the same solutions over and over.

To any one from Dell who might be monitoring these forums. Tomorrow will be your LAST chance to resolve this problem for me or I will be expecting a new WORKING replacement or upgrade!!!!

It's bad enough having to deal with the faulty product but the poor customer service your customers are receiving over this issue borders on being blatantly disrespectful and must cease!

:emotion-12: :emotion-12:

9 Posts

December 2nd, 2014 12:00

After doing research into this issue  it would appear that this is a common problem with these laptops which Dell have no answer to. I purchased my refurbished 17 7000 in May 2014 and by August the screen completely went dead and needed to be replaced. Last week an engineer came to replace the battery  and motherboard (second time this has had to be done) and since that repair I have no touch capabilities on the screen. I have looked at the service history of my laptop and  it would appear that the original owner of my laptop returned the computer for exactly the same reason  way back in Feb after the LCD Cover Assembly, FHD, LG, TCH, 7737 was replaced in December  2013 and again in January 2014. Due to the poor service history of my laptop Dell has asked me to return it to them so they can  run a full diagnostic on the  system and was told I would  have to wait 3 to 10 working days for them to  return or  replace  my system. Very frustrating

Dell  need  to consider  changing their suppliers of these screens and recall the faulty  systems that they have already shipped.

EDIT: Laptop was returned today from the  Dell Collect and Repair Service. It had been with them since the 19th November. 2014. .The repair service sheet claims that they replaced the keyboard, Optical drive and yes the LCD display. The hard drive and the OS I had asked Dell not to touch as I have replaced my hard drive with a Samsung SSD and did not have the time to make a back up of the system prior to returning it for repair. I was so excited today and was tracking the progress of the delivery on line like the sad pr*ck I am!

I can't express how peed off I was to switch on the system only to find that touch functionality still is not working with my screen even though Dell has alleged my old screen with this "new" non working replacement

Like you MAX45UK, I hit the roof and went to town with tech support today - language was used  that can not be repeated in a respectable forum like this! Dell have agreed to come out to me tomorrow to change the LCD and also the motherboard again!.

I suspect in my case that it is the motherboard which might be at fault as it was after a change of motherboard early last month that I lost the touch functionality of my screen. I am absolutely sure it is unlikely to be a software issue as I have deliberately removed my main hard drive and replaced it with another test drive and then reinstalled the OS 3 times on the test drive, This included reinstalling all the drivers from the Dell Support site for my Inspiron. Still my touch screen does not appear in device manager under Human Interface Device, and system properties continues to state that I have "no pen or touch input is available for this display"

I have made it clear to Dell today that the engineer they send tomorrow will not leave my property until my system has been thoroughly tested in my home and  if my laptop is still not working after this latest round of repairs then they must ship me

December 3rd, 2014 04:00

More than a week without ghost touch for me!

Here's my procedure:

1) never ever move the screen by grabbing it on one edge or at the corner

2) when folding the notebook into tablet mode, grip the screen on both sides, and ensure that the screen does not flex during the folding operation

3) in case of errant ghost touch, flex the screen until the ghost touch disappears.

I am skeptical that replacing the driver with an older version will fix ghost touch; because it also appears during self-test diagnostics (which is not running Windows).  I firmly think this is a hardware bug, albeit one that can be avoided with some care.

I've had two Dell Latitudes that could probably stop a bullet. Both had drives that failed within a year, so there is that, but that was Seagate's fault and not Dell's.

I'm of the thought, this is an Inspiron, so a lower grade, and thus this mechanical fragility while disappointing, should not be unexpected.

My wife has a Toshiba P30, which is lighter than this Dell but also vastly stronger. It costs almost double, though.  If you look at the Lenovo Flex 2, which also flips (not 180 degrees however) and is cheaper than this Inspiron, it has a massive hinge.. but it also weighs much more than this Dell.

I think in Dell's effort to bring light weight and a good screen to their lower-end brand, the mechanical strength suffered - badly.

9 Posts

This would be great if it was being listed in device manager under the Human Interface Device category it simply is not there and I have no other unknown devices being flagged up. Will wait patiently for the tech guy to visit with the new parts

17 Posts

Thing is, when you buy a laptop with a touch screen that can go all the way back, you're not expecting to treat it like a delicate piece of glass. You should be able to move the screen as you wish, the only input being your finger on the touch screen.

If I find I still have these ghost touch issues after the driver uninstall and whatever else Dell can throw at it, I'll be looking for a refund. As you say it definitely feels like a hardware design issue, but mine was OK for an hour or two last night.

I've got an 8yr old Sony Vaio that's been round the world a few times, taken a lot of bumps and knocks and it still works a treat. I wouldn't expect anything else from a top brand laptop, but unfortunately, it doesn't surprise me that we're faced with these kinds of issues.

17 Posts

Had Dell contact me and ask me to do the following;

1."Press Windows" key +"C" to select the search option

2.In the search box type "Device Manager" and click on it.

3.Select the "Human Interface Devices", in that right click on " HID-compliant touch screen" and select"Uninstall"

4.It will display the warning message "you are about to uninstall this device from your system" click ok

5.Now restart your computer and check the fucntionality of the touch screen.

This actually seems to have helped - only had some time last night to test it, but there weren't any ghost inputs when moving the screen. I think in doing this it has reverted the touch screen driver back to a much earlier release. Whether this will auto update and cause the issue again I'm unsure.

Will continue to use laptop and see if it comes back...fingers crossed...

Does this help anyone else?

1 Message

December 3rd, 2014 07:00

I bought mine about three weeks ago. I had the problem several times already. I am traveling on business and will return it for complete refund upon my return.

1 Message

December 3rd, 2014 11:00

So I just began facing the "ghost clicking/touching" problem last night. Had this laptop for not even a week. Plan on returning it to the retail store, possibly for the same model or a similar laptop. Anyone mind sharing laptop recommendations around the $500-600 range? Such a shame since I really liked this laptop.

1 Message

December 12th, 2014 22:00

I have the same issue exactly. At first I though it's a virus, I have tried to do full scan many times. It does not work. So I go to dell.com to update all the drivers including BIOS, again it still does not work. I use dell computers many years. This is the worst experience. It's a big problem because the laptop is not usable when the ghost touch happening. I hope Dell can look into this problem. Otherwise, I don't know how to use this Dell computer.

1 Message

December 13th, 2014 18:00

I am having the same problem.  Only perfect solution so far seems to turn off the touchscreen functionality in the Device Manager.  I will try some of these other solutions.  Do we know if only some of these laptops have this problem?   

9 Posts

December 13th, 2014 21:00

I think it is a common problem with this model. The only answer is for Dell to replace the screen. That is the only way they were able to resolve my problem  and in my case the screen has been replaced 4 times since December 2013!!!! Don't be fooled Dell are very aware that the screens they are using are unreliable and will fob you off with troubleshooting and diagnostics which in most cases will not resolve the issue. My advice to you is to insist to dell that they replace the screen and point the technician to this forum and thread. It's bad enough the product is faulty but the customer service (or lack of it in my case) from Dell technical support is inexcusable 

9 Posts

December 13th, 2014 22:00

Welcome to the crazy world of being an owner of a Dell system, and I'm sure after your experience I doubt you will purchase another system from this shoddy company. I guess when you contacted Dell they advised you to update the graphics, and chipset drivers, as well as the BIOS and then spend 45 minutes going through either their online diagnostics or the system boot up diagnostics which never identify or fixes the problem. It has become clear to me that Dell technicians have a standard response which they clearly are reading from to every problem consumers put to them irrespective of what the problem actually is, and they will put off replacing the defective parts for as long as they can. The problem with my system was only resolved when the screen was replaced and this only occurred after my system was sent off to their repairs depot where it languished there for 18 days. You can imagine my anger when it was returned back to me with the same issue!!  After I threatened Dell that I would contact the BBC Watch Dog programme did they eventually send out another technician to my home with a working screen which has resolved the problem. (for now). Now since they replaced my motherboard my legally licenced retail Windows 8.1 Pro OS  is no longer activated because I have had to reinstall the OS several times on their advice  trying to resolve this problem that my product key has become blocked by Microsoft because of the significant hardware changes. Now  Dell have the bare faced cheek to tell me that they cannot help me resolve this because my system was shipped with W8 Home not 8.1 pro. It's a joke but this gripe I guess should be aired in another forum thread.

17 Posts

December 15th, 2014 03:00

I'm still having issues with my touchscreen - what I though had fixed it only seemed to help for a very short time.

I have turned the touchscreen off for the moment as it's driving my nutty, but really not happy that I have to do this when this is a product that should cope with moving the screen. Need to find the energy to keep pestering Dell about this - I just can't sit back and be happy with spending all that money for something that doesn't work as advertised - I think the legal term is 'not fit for purpose'.

Will see where I get when I log the issue again.

No Events found!