orly_andico
1 Copper

RE: Inspiron 13 7000 (7347) Touch screen problem

Jump to solution

More than a week without ghost touch for me!

Here's my procedure:

1) never ever move the screen by grabbing it on one edge or at the corner

2) when folding the notebook into tablet mode, grip the screen on both sides, and ensure that the screen does not flex during the folding operation

3) in case of errant ghost touch, flex the screen until the ghost touch disappears.

I am skeptical that replacing the driver with an older version will fix ghost touch; because it also appears during self-test diagnostics (which is not running Windows).  I firmly think this is a hardware bug, albeit one that can be avoided with some care.

0 Kudos
Kedmun
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thing is, when you buy a laptop with a touch screen that can go all the way back, you're not expecting to treat it like a delicate piece of glass. You should be able to move the screen as you wish, the only input being your finger on the touch screen.

If I find I still have these ghost touch issues after the driver uninstall and whatever else Dell can throw at it, I'll be looking for a refund. As you say it definitely feels like a hardware design issue, but mine was OK for an hour or two last night.

I've got an 8yr old Sony Vaio that's been round the world a few times, taken a lot of bumps and knocks and it still works a treat. I wouldn't expect anything else from a top brand laptop, but unfortunately, it doesn't surprise me that we're faced with these kinds of issues.

0 Kudos
ardnstiff1
1 Copper

Jump to solution

This would be great if it was being listed in device manager under the Human Interface Device category it simply is not there and I have no other unknown devices being flagged up. Will wait patiently for the tech guy to visit with the new parts

0 Kudos
orly_andico
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I've had two Dell Latitudes that could probably stop a bullet. Both had drives that failed within a year, so there is that, but that was Seagate's fault and not Dell's.

I'm of the thought, this is an Inspiron, so a lower grade, and thus this mechanical fragility while disappointing, should not be unexpected.

My wife has a Toshiba P30, which is lighter than this Dell but also vastly stronger. It costs almost double, though.  If you look at the Lenovo Flex 2, which also flips (not 180 degrees however) and is cheaper than this Inspiron, it has a massive hinge.. but it also weighs much more than this Dell.

I think in Dell's effort to bring light weight and a good screen to their lower-end brand, the mechanical strength suffered - badly.

0 Kudos
AlaaSerry
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I bought mine about three weeks ago. I had the problem several times already. I am traveling on business and will return it for complete refund upon my return.

0 Kudos
rana757
1 Copper

Jump to solution

So I just began facing the "ghost clicking/touching" problem last night. Had this laptop for not even a week. Plan on returning it to the retail store, possibly for the same model or a similar laptop. Anyone mind sharing laptop recommendations around the $500-600 range? Such a shame since I really liked this laptop.

0 Kudos
FSYang
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have the same issue exactly. At first I though it's a virus, I have tried to do full scan many times. It does not work. So I go to dell.com to update all the drivers including BIOS, again it still does not work. I use dell computers many years. This is the worst experience. It's a big problem because the laptop is not usable when the ghost touch happening. I hope Dell can look into this problem. Otherwise, I don't know how to use this Dell computer.

0 Kudos
ckleem
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I am having the same problem.  Only perfect solution so far seems to turn off the touchscreen functionality in the Device Manager.  I will try some of these other solutions.  Do we know if only some of these laptops have this problem?   

0 Kudos
ardnstiff1
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I think it is a common problem with this model. The only answer is for Dell to replace the screen. That is the only way they were able to resolve my problem  and in my case the screen has been replaced 4 times since December 2013!!!! Don't be fooled Dell are very aware that the screens they are using are unreliable and will fob you off with troubleshooting and diagnostics which in most cases will not resolve the issue. My advice to you is to insist to dell that they replace the screen and point the technician to this forum and thread. It's bad enough the product is faulty but the customer service (or lack of it in my case) from Dell technical support is inexcusable 

0 Kudos
ardnstiff1
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Welcome to the crazy world of being an owner of a Dell system, and I'm sure after your experience I doubt you will purchase another system from this shoddy company. I guess when you contacted Dell they advised you to update the graphics, and chipset drivers, as well as the BIOS and then spend 45 minutes going through either their online diagnostics or the system boot up diagnostics which never identify or fixes the problem. It has become clear to me that Dell technicians have a standard response which they clearly are reading from to every problem consumers put to them irrespective of what the problem actually is, and they will put off replacing the defective parts for as long as they can. The problem with my system was only resolved when the screen was replaced and this only occurred after my system was sent off to their repairs depot where it languished there for 18 days. You can imagine my anger when it was returned back to me with the same issue!!  After I threatened Dell that I would contact the BBC Watch Dog programme did they eventually send out another technician to my home with a working screen which has resolved the problem. (for now). Now since they replaced my motherboard my legally licenced retail Windows 8.1 Pro OS  is no longer activated because I have had to reinstall the OS several times on their advice  trying to resolve this problem that my product key has become blocked by Microsoft because of the significant hardware changes. Now  Dell have the bare faced cheek to tell me that they cannot help me resolve this because my system was shipped with W8 Home not 8.1 pro. It's a joke but this gripe I guess should be aired in another forum thread.

0 Kudos