kmclen
1 Nickel

Inspiron 13 7000 Model 7378 dead after 67 days.

Went to turn my laptop on today and it wouldn't power up.  DC power supply light is out so I changed wall plugs and the green light came back on and plugged it into the laptop.  Green light goes away and I call up Dell.  

Dell support claims the motherboard and DC input will need to be replaced and that it will take about 12 business days not including shipping to complete this.  I'm in school for computer science and my class starts next Wednesday so I will probably have to purchase a new laptop to replace this Inspiron as I need a laptop.

Quite disappointed in the system as it wouldn't handle dual monitors properly.  There was significant lag in the monitors from the laptop.  

Does anyone know if priority repairs can be set up?

Either way, I would honestly avoid this laptop unless it's for casual use and you aren't reliant on it.

Anyone else run into issues such as this?

5 Replies
jphughan
5 Rhenium

RE: Inspiron 13 7000 Model 7378 dead after 67 days.

Unfortunately, the "priority repair" option was to order the system with the next business day on-site service warranty option.  I considered that essential while I was in school because I knew if my system failed around final exams, I wouldn't be able to tolerate even a few days without it, and I advise anyone who will be using their PCs for business-critical tasks without access to a spare PC in case of an incident to order that warranty policy as well.  I don't know if warranties can be upgraded in the middle of a term, though, but it might be worth keeping in mind for your next system.  Sorry to hear of your trouble!

0 Kudos
kmclen
1 Nickel

The on-site warranty would probably would have been the best solution in this case.  I'm fine even paying to have an expedited repair or paying to have an onsite repair.  My biggest worry is a repeat failure of the motherboard.  If it does fail a 2nd time I will just go the route of purchasing a different brand unfortunately as I have had a lot of performance problems with this system.

0 Kudos
jphughan
5 Rhenium

Well you can always ask about paying for a one-time on-site service call, or it's also possible that warranties can be upgraded to on-site contracts in the middle of a term and I'm just not aware of it.  I saw your other thread about the HDMI issue, but at the very least a motherboard replacement should solve both issues, and hopefully it'll be smooth sailing from there on. Good luck!

0 Kudos
kmclen
1 Nickel

@jphughan - I was able to upgrade my warranty to an onsite repair warranty for ~$170.  I scheduled everything up and then they let me know that the motherboards are on back order until 8/28 so I don't really have any choices.

I have to say I'm pretty bummed about the situation.  At this point I need to purchase a replacement laptop and I'll sell the 7378 once it's back from repairs.

Wish I had a better update but I hope other people don't have the same poor experience I have had.

0 Kudos
kmclen
1 Nickel

To give everyone that is interested an update, the repair techs have made 3x visits recently and can't resolve the issue.  It is not the repair techs ability but their resources through Dell that is the limiting factor.

Visit 1:  Replace the motherboard.  Problem still persisted with the new motherboard and the tech found it was the touch display causing the short.

Visit 2:  Replaced the touch screen display and the problem is still there.  Looks to be the touch/camera display cable.  Tech had to fight Dell to get the part sent since Dell wanted to depot repair it and I can't be without a laptop that long.  Dell sent the parts reluctantly after the tech fought for me.

Visit 3:  Dell sent the wrong parts.  Dell sent the wrong video cable and they now want me to depot repair the system.  

In short I will be calling Dell to see what I can do about getting a refund on the on-site warranty since they won't allow their techs to do the job and will end up sending the computer in December when I don't need it for school.  The computer works with the touch screen cable removed so I'll get by but I will definitely not purchase a Dell.

0 Kudos