Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 24th, 2015 05:00

Inspiron 13 7000 fan comes on a lot & is very loud!!

Is this common for this laptop? Surely this can't be ok. The fans comes on a lot even while just browsing with one tab open & no other programs open. Came on a few times while I was watching a movie which was very annoying! Sounds like a hoover at times.

What can I do to resolve this?

5 Posts

January 24th, 2015 06:00

Just to mention, I've only had the laptop over a week & been using it on a desk.

4 Posts

February 7th, 2015 13:00

I just got my Inspiron 7000 and noticed the fan also is loud.  It turns on at intermittent times but is pretty loud. 

5 Posts

February 7th, 2015 16:00

I've been on the phone with Dell support to troubleshoot the problem. They sent someone out to replace the heathsink but I still had the same problem. They are replacing the laptop for me now. I'll post back if the new one is the same.

4 Posts

February 9th, 2015 15:00

Let me know.  One thing I noticed that I had put on the windows 10 preview and after finding out that could not get a video driver to work correctly with the 5500 video card I reverted it back to the windows 8.1.  I am not noticing the loud noise now.  SO makes me wonder if there is something to do with the OS controlling the fan speeds?  

Its been a day and no loud noise from fan so will see if that makes a difference.

5 Posts

February 16th, 2015 16:00

Same problem with the replacement. Fan comes on a lot and is very loud under light usage and even while idle. Very unhappy about this.

4 Posts

March 16th, 2015 15:00

Did Dell do anything for you on this?  I did got back to Windows 8.1 and the fan still will come on with a loud almost rattling sound to it when under heavy loads.  

1 Message

March 18th, 2015 21:00

Exact same issue here.  The noise wouldn't annoy me as much if it wasn't for the rattle.  I bought the Corei5 version of the laptop a few months ago, the fan made the same noise and eventually would stop working, which would put the processor into limp mode.  Fortunately, it was within the 30 day amazon return timeframe so I just returned it and got another one.  This time around I bought the i7 model, and the fan makes the same noises.  I am holding off to find out if it dies as well.

5 Posts

March 20th, 2015 17:00

I believe it's a Windows 8.1 problem. Stopping background intelligence transfer service and windows update from the task manager seems to help.

2 Posts

March 20th, 2015 17:00

Hi 

I am in the same boat :0( 

Just bought i7 version this week. Fully used it for 2 days only and although happy with speed , the Fan and the Heat is just a nightmare. 

my daughter actually asked if it was raining outside when i was using it in study room and she couldn't recognise it was noise of its fan. ?

Other intolerable problem is base getting very hot after few hours use. Even more annoying than fan's nose.

I also observed some keys get raised when typing at high speed.

I understand you have to compromise with power consumption with i7 but its much more than just that.

Going to speak to dell to return this :0(

2 Posts

March 21st, 2015 09:00

Although by stopping suggested two services has improved the fan speed a bit but still heating up enough to make it unusable on the lap :0(

4 Posts

March 25th, 2015 20:00

There is a new version of BIOS.  I had version F01 and they have F03 out now available.  One of the fixes listed in the information is adjustment on fan speeds.  It could be a placebo effect but it does seem to not be going as much.  When it does get going it is still loud but it doesn't kick in on normal every day stuff it appears.

Hopefully that helps some.

Also I noticed that INtel released some new Video/sound card drivers that when installed made system CPU utilization max out.  I found online others having same issue with newest intel 5500 video drivers so would recommend not installing.  I removed and went back to prior version of video drivers.

April 7th, 2015 09:00

I downloaded the F03 BIOS version, it's worse now, earlier it was a loud noise only when downloading something or performing an activity whether light or heavy. After installing F03 the noise is more annoying, continuous when idle and still increases when performing activities.

I was thinking about downgrading to F01 again. However, that may cause severe damage to motherboard etc... and will lead to loss of warranty.

I bought this 2 days ago and I'm so sorry I bought it. Everything is good except for this loud annoying noise. I feel like I bought a fridge not an ultrabook.

2 Posts

April 15th, 2015 00:00

Same here. Called Dell tech support on second day. After spending couple of hours and updating the bios, problem stays as is. Couldn't find any solution anywhere else on the net. Regretting the decision to buy this laptop.

1 Message

May 25th, 2015 07:00

Hi,

Even me its the same problem ...my laptop is just 3 days old and I hardly used it  for more than an 2 hours till now and today I noticed this fan sound is so loud and also it starts all of a sudden ...did you get any help from the technical support 

???

July 4th, 2015 13:00

They have never responded to this issue. However, they updated the BIOS twice. In fact I lost the excitement, I use the Dell Inspiron 13 very rarely, almost once a month only. I still use my old laptop. I even tried returning it by the help of The Consumer Protection department in Dubai. I couldn't, they said it is the consumer responsibility to research about the product before buying it. My bad. This is the first and last Dell product I have ever bought.

No Events found!