Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

May 28th, 2017 03:00

Inspiron 13 7378 - problem with external monitor

Hi,

The screen on my external monitor goes blank intermittently. Sometimes it happens only once but more often it happens few times in a row.

I had been using a Samsung external monitor for two years before I bought my Inspiron 13 7378. The problem started immediately after I connected my new Dell laptop. 

I tried few different HDMI cables but it didn't help. Obviously, the problem is not in HDMI cables. Of course, I have been downloading newest drivers all the time. I've been running diagnostic tests from the support page. Tests pass all the time. 

I contacted the Dell support and after few calls I was suggested to install video driver directly from Intel's web pages. I did and it didn't help. Also, I was told that they could not help me with troubleshooting the external monitor because it was not a Dell monitor, which is completely understandable. 

Few days ago I bought a Dell monitor, P2717H, because I hopped it would help to have both the laptop and the monitor from Dell. Guess what, it didn't help.

I also tried the USB-C to HDMI converter and no luck.

I'm in contact with Dell's support again, I hope this time we will solve the problem.

Has anyone had the same problem? And have you found a solution or at least the cause of the problem?

3 Posts

June 22nd, 2017 09:00

I'm glad I've found your thread!  I've got what seems like the exact same problem with an Inspiron 15 5578.

It happens to me when playing video.  At least that's what I mostly seem to be doing when it occurs.

It doesn't matter if the video is playing on the laptop screen or the external monitor, it's always the external monitor that goes blank.  It also doesn't matter if the video is full screen or just playing in a window, but it does seem to cause the blanking more often if the video is full screen.  Neither does it matter which screen is designated as the "main display" in Windows.

I've also contacted Dell support but other than telling me to upgrade drivers, they've not offered a solution apart from a refund.

If anyone has found a solution or workaround, please let me know.

4 Posts

July 3rd, 2017 11:00

Hi redpab,

Dell support solved my problem. After a few phone calls with them they decided to send a technician to my apartment and replace the motherboard. Since then my external monitor/laptop has been working fine!

August 16th, 2017 19:00

My 7378 inspiron was doing similar things with monitors going blank and the motherboard died entirely today.  I have had it for 67 days so Dell won't replace it.  I just don't think they can handle external monitors very well.

I hope the motherboard replacement will resolve the issue but I'm skeptical.

Did your new motherboard resolve the issue?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

August 16th, 2017 20:00

^ He said, "Since [my motherboard was replaced] my external monitor/laptop has been working fine!", so it sure sounds like it.

4 Posts

August 21st, 2017 19:00

Hi,

since the motherboard replacement my external monitor went blank (only) two times, both times when I was converting raw photo files into JPEGs in Photoshop which is a "heavy" task.

So, new motherboard didn't completely solve the problem but I can live with that. Of course, I'm not happy with it but I just don't want to waste my time with the Dell support anymore.

October 11th, 2017 18:00

I have the exact same problem. I'm already with a Dell monitor. I'm right now on the phone with Dell to replace the motherboard. Hop it will work.

No Events found!