VJB
1 Nickel

Inspiron 1318 Audio Quality Issue

So, after spending 3 days with Technical Support on this issue, I'm trying this forum as my last ditch attempt to resolve my problem prior to returning the beautiful Inspiron 1318 I purchased for my daughter this Christmas. Ever since we first took it out of the box, the audio playback whether off a file on the hard drive or CD, using iTunes or Media Player cracks and pops.

Tech Support has updated audio drivers, BIOS, and disabled enhancements in the playback device (surrond, boost, etc.). Everytime we try something the quality issue seems to resove itself listening to the first couple of songs, but then goes right back to the annoying cracking and popping sounds after that.

I'm just about to give up and return the product for a full refund and try another vendor.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

PS. System running Vista Home Edition 32 bit

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jim Coates
5 Osmium

Re: Inspiron 1318 Audio Quality Issue

Did they try turning off the wireless?

For workarounds that have worked for other forum members see Choppy/Skipping Audio Workarounds.

Jim Coates -- 15 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos
VJB
1 Nickel

OK, that actually seems to be working. I disconnected from my wireless network and set the wireless switch on the side of the laptop to off, and now the music plays OK.

One problem... I need to be able to browse the web while I'm listening to music. We do that all the time. If this is the only solution then I'm afraid that the laptop is going back.

The question now is what's the issue? The particular laptop model? Vista? The sound card?

If I buy another model Vista machine will the same thing happen. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Jim Coates
5 Osmium

Read "Choppy/Skipping Workarounds", the second post, about turning off the "a" band. Not all of the wireless cardss have the a band and I don't know if yours does; you have to look for it to know for certain. If it does, then disabling the a band will fix the problem.

if it doesn't, then loading Vista Anti Lag should help, but the link no longer works so you must google it. If no luck then send it back because Dell doesn't have a fix.

As I wrote in "Choppy/Skipping Workarounds" the problem has been around for 2 years -- since Vista. It's appalling that tech support still has no clue.

Jim Coates -- 15 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
VJB
1 Nickel

Hey Jim, Thanks for the suggestion of turning off the "a" band on the wireless card. I tried that and even though there seems to be some improvement the problem is still there.

I think this baby's going back as much as I hate to do it. The system has been a big dissapointment, I've spent the best part of the last 3-days on this issue, and after chatting with 3 tech support engineers (2 of them level 2 guys) the problem is not fixed.

I hope you have a pleasant rest of your holiday season and thanks for all the help you give people on this board.

-V

0 Kudos