Laptops General - Read Only

Last reply by 06-04-2017 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Inspiron 14 How to Free C Drive Disk Space

I just bought my Inspiron 14 with Windows 10 installed on it 4 months ago.  The capacity of my C drive is 28 GB and there is already almost no space left on my C drive.  I cannot even install my Windows 10 update at this point.  I have almost no files stored on the hard drive or photos (less than half a GB for both combined).  I need some advice of how to free up some C drive space-any advice.  I am at my wits end about what steps to take.

Replies (17)
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I had the same problem and all I wanted to do was a clean install since I keep no data on this laptop that isn't backed up offline; and it is insane that neither Microsoft nor Dell can give good guidance on such a common problem.

NO, the problem isn't TEMP files or any conventional space issue; it's in the Windows/SoftwareDistribution/Download folder; I had about 100,000 files in that folder taking almost 6 Gbs! It took 30 minutes to delete all of that junk.

If you have the space, download and install WinDirStat to see how your hard-drive space is being allocated in which folders. Then you just have to figure out if deleting the data hogs will break anything.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Thank you!  The best answer I have ever received to this very simple, straight-forward question, and I appreciate it!

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

No, I did not but see the recent message I just received from Lou-in-NJ which I will try.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Thank you for this suggestion, which I had tried already, and it did not solve my problem.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I had done this already, and did not have any APPS installed on my laptop to begin with, so thank you for this suggestion.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I had done this already, and it did not help.  Thank you for this suggestion.

3 Silver

So you can't enlarge the C partition?  28GB for a Win10 C drive is just too small.  You're trying to jam a size 9 foot into a size 5 shoe - it isn't going to work.

10 Diamond

The software distribution folder is where Windows Update stores files.  You can clear it but must stop the WIndows update service first.

answers.microsoft.com/.../8d98d924-b0b1-4f2b-bb4b-13f38126c588

You should also make your recovery media and delete the factory restore image.

By doing both you'll free up enough space to keep the system running for its intended purpose - essentially a browser tablet.  It's never going to stand up to running applications because of the small size of the eMMC drive (which can't be upgraded), though you CAN add an SD card to keep your data files off the boot drive.

These systems are essentially Windows versions of Chromebooks - they're not designed for use as full blown Windows notebooks.

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor