Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 27th, 2016 12:00

Inspiron 14 N4050 Battery not working

Hey,

I've got an Inspiron 14 N4050 bought 4 years ago, never had a problem with it. 98% of the time I used it directly connected to the power outlet at home. When I plugged in the battery, fully charged, it went from 100% to 50%, then to its 30's and 10's real quick, maybe in a matter of 10 minutes, and then shut down.

I then bought a new, original battery because I thought that the fact of not using it in years and that the original battery was 4 years old could be the reason. I've followed the guidelines and I'm now using it for the first time. I fully charged it, and when I turned on the laptop it said it had around 2 hrs 20 min of battery. After a few minutes, around 3 hours 30 min. Then it set at 1 hr 32 min. After one hour of very low usage (Used Microsoft Word and read a few PDF's), its at 20% with 21 minutes left. I checked that the computer was at power saving mode and all that. The brightness is set far lower than high. 

What should I do and where could the problem be coming from?

Thank you!

2K Posts

August 28th, 2016 22:00

Hi JUANB95,

From where have you purchased the replacement battery? What is the battery part#? Are you using an original Dell Adapter? When you plug in the adapter to the system, does the adapter stay firm or does it fall off easily? Is the adapter frayed? Could you test with another power adapter if possible?

Update the BIOS - http://dell.to/2bZ2Odf - restart the system and check.

Restart the system and press f2 key to enter BIOS - check the adapter status in BIOS with and without the adapter plugged in. Also, wiggle the adapter cable at the end and see if the status changes in BIOS at any point. Check the battery health in BIOS (if applicable).

Restart the system and press f12 key on startup - choose diagnostics. Let it run the diags and if you encounter any errors - make a note of the complete error and report the same to us.

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private conversation with the service tag and your contact details(Name and Email) for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

No Events found!