Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 26th, 2013 11:00

Inspiron 14R (N4110) factory image restore issue

I am trying to do a factory image restore on my daughter's laptop.  It recently had some problem that required a chkdsk on c:, which found a lot of errors.  Since then it has been glitchy, so a reinstall of windows seems necessary.

I'm following the instructions that are on the setup guide, page 72 - Dell Factory Image Restore.  They aren't working for me.

When I get to step 5, there is no option to enter a user name.  Just a drop down menu, which does not list Administrator is not an option.

If I choose some other user account, I don't see Dell Factory Tools as an option after logging in.  Dell Datasafe doesn't work when I am in Windows (one of the gitches), and I'm wondering if that has something to do with why the Dell Factory Tools aren't there in System Recovery.

Any idea what I should do next?  

Thanks in advance.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 26th, 2013 11:00

Run an extended hardware-level hard drive diagnostic - F12 at powerup.  If you see any errors or bad sectors, your drive is failing -- which is the most likely cause of the problem.

27 Posts

November 26th, 2013 14:00

Try enabling the administrator then go the the recovery environment.

you have to run cmd prompt as administrator and type the below.

"net user administrator /active:yes"

Then do the F8 and then repair your computer. You should get the administrator in the dropdown.

Chao ,

Vemmi

13 Posts

November 27th, 2013 06:00

Run an extended hardware-level hard drive diagnostic - F12 at powerup.  If you see any errors or bad sectors, your drive is failing -- which is the most likely cause of the problem.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried it, but no errors were found.

13 Posts

November 27th, 2013 06:00

Try enabling the administrator then go the the recovery environment.

you have to run cmd prompt as administrator and type the below.

"net user administrator /active:yes"

Then do the F8 and then repair your computer. You should get the administrator in the dropdown.

Chao ,

Vemmi

I actually thought of this a couple minutes after posting.  It didn't help though. The administrator account had the exact same options as the other accounts.

I was able to get to the recovery environment after reinstalling Dell Datasafe.  Just to be safe, I wiped the whole drive and started over.  

No Events found!